HELP ~ CAN'T DECIDE WHICH CAMERA IS BEST TO BEGIN WITH

amazing

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have looked at the Canon 50d, 40d, and t1i. I like them all and know I surely want to start out with a Canon. What I want to be able to do with my camera is to be able to be able to take professional pictures of nature, babies, and sports. I would like to start a business, and I would like a camera that I can begin with (I am taking a photography class so I am not brand new to DSLR's) and then also take pictures of what I listed for a business to sell those pictures, what could I do?

I vote 50d, I love mine, but search, this has been covered plenty of times!

50D is the best one out of that list. Since you're looking at starting a business, I would buy the best you can afford. Also, the 50D comes with a pretty nice kit lens in comparison to the others.

Not yet I don't have pictures, I'm just beginning, I have taken a film class and I just started being enrolled in a Digital class, I used to use a film SLR. When you say which you prefer could you please elaborate? And the 50d looks a little too pricey, so between the t1i or the 40d or a canon camera that is equal or lesser priced, which do you prefer?

Last edited:
Glass quality is going to matter most...even if you went with an XSi. It's a good camera, limited by cheap glass. That said, just about any entry level camera will be fine for you, with good glass. Your question is pretty vague though. What is going to be important to you in a camera? All the things you listed (nature, babies, sports) will depend as much on the glass, as the body.

If you are really serious about this, you may become unhappy with whatever body you get, and want better. If you buy nice glass, it will still be good on the 5DmkII, and you are only out the money for the body (which you could use as a back up anyway, since you will be having a business). If you buy cheap glass for the cheap body, you will be replacing your glass, when you upgrade to a pro body.

Just some food for thought...(yes I'm bias, and I'm bored, so I thought I'd chime in.)

Compare cameras

That compares the 50D, T1i, and the Pentax K-x (finally added).

According to that site the K-x beats them both. To add to that, the K-x has an internal focusing motor (T1i doesn't), and in camera stabilization. And what sold me, was the price. The K-x has the same sensor that's been reviewed to have "fantastic" low ISO capability. The same sensor that's in the Nikon D90 and D5000. All for half the price.

If glass is your concern, all Pentax lenses work on the K-x all the way back to the earliest "K" mount. Some others require an adapter ring, but those aren't the lenses you'd want anyway. So DIRT cheap lenses with descent image quality can be had if you're willing to learn more about the triangle of exposure and experiment.

Anecdotal evidence, my mom had an OLD Pentax SLR, and her completely manual lenses work on my K-x just fine. Manual aperture ring and manual focus. It's fun!

Just tossing this out there because this forum seems to favor Canikon so much, when there are perfectly viable alternatives for beginners.

Then again, if you're looking to go pro with a FF camera, Pentax may not be for you.

Last edited:
Well, you coulllld get a Pentax but....

nahh just kidding FattyMcJ :lol:

Any of those would work well for what I assume your purpose is, but I'd go with the t1i and get good glass. No need spending money on a body when you're gonna replace it in a few years anyways. Spend the money on a good set of lenses that will last you until some crazy new change in the Canon mount happens. Read: not in our lifetime.

Any of those would work well for what I assume your purpose is, but I'd go with the t1i and get good glass. No need spending money on a body when you're gonna replace it in a few years anyways. Spend the money on a good set of lenses that will last you until some crazy new change in the Canon mount happens. Read: not in our lifetime.

:lmao: Ya, just re-read his post. I didn't realize he really wanted to go pro. Pentax's lack of FF doesn't help. Oh well, maybe some other beginner/hobbyist will read it and find a great alternative.

:lmao: Ya, just re-read his post. I didn't realize he really wanted to go pro. Pentax's lack of FF doesn't help. Oh well, maybe some other beginner/hobbyist will read it and find a great alternative.

Plus cheap and decent isn't really a substitute for quality and performance.

Sports photography usually needs longer faster lenses. 300-400mm primes are great for this usually. Pentax doesn't have anything about a 300mm zoom on their website and how does the AF compare in the older Pentax lenses? Plus the 40D-50D can shoot faster than 6FPS. It really doesn't matter that the t1i doesn't have an in body focusing motor, none of the Canon bodies have in camera focusing motors. All current Canon lenses will auto focus with all current Canon bodies.

Portraiture is more about lighting...

Nature requires reach and fast AF...

If I do not have any camera and want to go with Canon system and the budget is $1000.

I will look for Canon 40D body ($600 or less used) and pair it with a Tamron 17-50mm F/2.8 ($300 used)

I am looking at the T2i canon it is a 18megapixle and has some updates to it. reviews i have seen are good. camera labs.com has a lot of reviews that i have read. I use a Nikon at the moment but looking to upgrade to the canon soon.

Most reactions

Back