Help choosing mirrorless to replace dslr

yakapo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I just sold my Canon T4i & Sigma 30mm 1.4 (I sold my zoom a while ago). I still have a Panasonic LX7. I'm an amatuer. I mostly shoot in aperture priority.

I'm looking at the following cameras to replace my dslr: Budget $600-800 for body.

1. Used Oly EM1
2. Panny G7 w/ kit zoom
3. Sony Sony A6000 w/ kit zoom
4. Used Sony A7? (I would only buy one lens with this option)
5. Oly Em5 II

factors:
1. I would use the kit zoom and one walk around prime. (probably the panasonic 25mm 1.4 or 1.7 for the 4/3 bodies) The zoom would primarily be used for video.
2. I hate small body cameras. The lx7 is just a backup. I have big hands and I like cameras with a nice grip.
3. Occasionally shoot video. I'm not sure but continuous AF might be a bonus.
4. I don't want to have to spend a ton of money on lenses.

I think the Panasonic G7 and the Olympus Em5 II have the same sensor. From what I've read the menu system on the Olympus is confusing. Also the em5 doesn't have much of a grip.

This is my thoughts and mine alone.
For my main camera I wouldn't get today any camera (as first body) that isn't full frame.
These smaller sensors are ok but when talking about low light performance full frame cant be beaten
So only mirrorless camera I would have to be Sony A7 family.
Problem with them is, the AF on the older models isn't brilliant, they tends to hunt in lower light and still their lens line is not impressive at all.
The A7R II has really improved this camera line up in a BIG way but its way out of your price range and as I said the lenses are still lacking.

For my main camera I wouldn't get today any camera (as first body) that isn't full frame.
These smaller sensors are ok but when talking about low light performance full frame cant be beaten
So only mirrorless camera I would have to be Sony A7 family.
Problem with them is, the AF on the older models isn't brilliant, they tends to hunt in lower light and still their lens line is not impressive at all.
The A7R II has really improved this camera line up in a BIG way but its way out of your price range and as I said the lenses are still lacking.

When I first started seriously shooting I was using a Canon 30D. 800 ISO was really pushing things. Now even the Oly M series can comfortable shoot at 1600 ISO.

So only mirrorl\ng.

When I first started seriously shooting I was using a Canon 30D. 800 ISO was really pushing things. Now even the Oly M series can comfortable shoot at 1600 ISO.

now I can shoot comfortably with 6400 ISO (mirrorless)

smithsonian by c w, on Flickr

As I said and was very specific when I said these are my thoughts and my thoughts alone, I know APS-C and even MFT sensors can work well in low light but not as good as FF, I am not willing to sacrifice low light performance for the advantages smaller sensors has, to each his own.
Many of my shots are at 4000ISO and up so for me this is important.

So only mirrorl\ng.

my parents have three out of the 4 painting in that above image as prints hanging in their house.

So only mirrorl\ng.

Which camera? I had the first gen OM-D and it was great for being a 4/3. Mirrorless is a bit vague though. A sony A7 is mirrorless but it has a full frame sensor.

2. I hate small body cameras. The lx7 is just a backup. I have big hands and I like cameras with a nice grip.
Then why are you specifically considering mirrorless cameras? Is it for video? If so, you should probably remove the current Olympus cameras off your list, because they’re not as good for that as some of the others. The Panasonic G7 is an excellent option.

4. I don't want to have to spend a ton of money on lenses.
Well, then maybe you shouldn’t have sold off you Canon DSLR … don’t expect the native lenses to be quite as cheap as what you could get there. Micro Four Thirds is at least close, though, and I guess you’ve already looked at some of the options there.

Mirrorless is a bit vague though. A sony A7 is mirrorless but it has a full frame sensor.
Why is there a but there? The only thing differentiating mirrorless cameras from DSLRs is the lack of a mirror and its box. There can be, and there are, multiple sensor formats in those cameras. Not all mirrorless cameras have to be small, or designed to be a light and compact alternative to DSLRs.

Mirrorless is a bit vague though. A sony A7 is mirrorless but it has a full frame sensor.
Why is there a but there? The only thing differentiating mirrorless cameras from DSLRs is the lack of a mirror and its box. There can be, and there are, multiple sensor formats in those cameras. Not all mirrorless cameras have to be small, or designed to be a light and compact alternative to DSLRs.

Because the OP said they want to buy a mirrorless camera. That's like saying I want to buy a sport car. Miata or Viper?

I bought a Sony A3000 because I got the kit STUPID cheap on a close-out. Still sealed box, A3000 with the non-powered kit lens and the 55-210 zoom for $289...

The camera shoots CLEAN to 3200 ISO, and 6400 is usable for the web.

I don't recommend this model (it's way too basic and the EVF is HORRIBLE plus it has a very low-res rear monitor), but since it costs less than the zoom lens alone, it was a pretty good deal.

I've shot and I like the A6000. It's cropped frame, so there's that, but for under $500 it's a good, small camera. The A7's rock, by the way.

I have a Fotga adapter for my Canon lenses, and some of them work great, some of them focus-hunt like a big dog and some don't focus at all. My 85MM f/2.8 USM works just as good on the Sony as it does on my EOS cameras, and the 70-200 2.8 L works fantastic as well. Most consumer lenses like the 18-55 EF-S kit len & Nifty 50 hunt but will eventually find focus.

Because the OP said they want to buy a mirrorless camera. That's like saying I want to buy a sport car. Miata or Viper?

the A7 is mirrorless.

It would be like saying I want to buy a sports car, BUT the viper has a v12.

I bought a Sony A3000 because I got the kit STUPID cheap on a close-out. Still sealed box, A3000 with the non-powered kit lens and the 55-210 zoom for $289...

good price. I just picked up an a6000 yesterday.

One of those is definitely on my list, especially since I already have some glass. The glass is really good (ASP-C sized, slow, but the IQ is outstanding).

One of those is definitely on my list, especially since I already have some glass. The glass is really good (ASP-C sized, slow, but the IQ is outstanding).

So far I like it. Much different than the legacy DSLR where nothing changes on them over the last 20 years.

focuses fast and accurately, 11fps is amazing, and the IQ is on par with the 24MP Nikon APS-C's since it's pretty mucht the same sensor. Full of features I still need to wrap my head around.

I'll be purchasing an adapter so I can pair my 50 and 85mm to it if I need low light. The 15-50mm works for me for my intended use otherwise.

Most reactions

Back