help choosing

mikey1273

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am looking to buy a new digital camera for a gift. the Recipient wants to use it to learn about Photography and also use it for taking photos of hair styles that he does and create a professional album and Instagram page with something superior to a cell phone camera.

I'm looking to spend $200 to $300

looking for a zoom lens

wifi or bluetooth so that photos can be transferred to a smart phone or tablet and send or posted online.

!6MP or better and like cameras that have a dial to let you pick shooting modes over menus

I am personally most accustomed to Canon and the PowerShot line myself other than film cameras.

I have not purchased a camera in over 5 years so need some suggestions.

currently looking at some on B&H web site:

Canon PowerShot SX620 HS

Canon PowerShot SX420 IS

Canon PoweeShot SX530 HS

Nikon CoolPix B500
Sony Cyber Shot DSC-HX80

not sure If there are any other models or brands I should look at?

I'm hoping for some black Friday or Cyber Monday sales.

We looked at some model at best buy last night. he seemed to like the Nikon B500 but was not sure about needing to make sure the lens was covered when not in use. Also liked the Canon sx530 but same thing with that, the lens cap you have to be sure to put on. He did like the Sony. Its was at the top of the price range but compact and had a good mix of features. I know nothing of Sony Cameras, I always had Cannons and his last low priced point n shoot was a Nikon.

Thanks for any input

I have had a couple bridge cameras similar to the Nikon B500 (older models). They are not bad cameras. The lens on the B500 has a very long zoom range which many like. And they do a pretty good job. But don't compare to larger faster 35mm lenses. But you can't expect them too either! With the price point now on sale for $260 at Nikon anyway. The B500 is a pretty decent deal for what you get. Any used DSLR and lens in that price range, I doubt would be any higher in output quality.

I have had a couple bridge cameras similar to the Nikon B500 (older models). They are not bad cameras. The lens on the B500 has a very long zoom range which many like. And they do a pretty good job. But don't compare to larger faster 35mm lenses. But you can't expect them too either! With the price point now on sale for $260 at Nikon anyway. The B500 is a pretty decent deal for what you get. Any used DSLR and lens in that price range, I doubt would be any higher in output quality.

Thanks
I think per our visit to best buy last night the Nikon B500 was near the top of the list just from putting hands on it. the Nikon is a bit large but didn't seem intimidating and as bulky as a full on DSLR, which is out if the price range. We liked the Sony too for the amount of features packed in to its smaller size and 18MP vs 16. So it seems the decision is down to those two and figuring out which is best for what its going to be used for. Which is going to be a mix of two things. Indoor, taking pics of hair models in a salon. I think the bridge camera is going to get a dirty lens if not religiously covered in that environment with hair spray in the air if its left out. the Sony has a cover that closes when off, that looks like it will protect it some but will it really? then it will be used for outdoor photos and learning photography in general too.

It sounds like it will get more salon use. I would probably switch to the Sony for that.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back