help colourblind folk at colour correction

Brian_barrett

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.geog.leeds.ac.uk
Hi,

I recently read a step by step guide for colour blind people on how to perform colour correction. If this works, it it will instantly lift one of my biggest frustrations in photography. Some times i can see that a picture isn't quite right,.. but in tying to get it right i end up with something quite unnatural.

Well anyway, I had a go and would really like to know what you think about the colour corrected image. does it look natural? does it look good?

here's the original (left of top) and my colour corrected attempt (right or bottom):

originalsledge.jpg
colourcorrectsledge.jpg

thanks for you time and comments,

Brian

the top image looks as if it was shot with the white balance on your camera set to tungsten. (if you where using a digital camera that is)
a bit strong of a blue cast on the snow.
The bottom image is natural looking..............
but has a "very, very, very" and I stress very, light blue cast still on the snow.
Under the sled there is a blue shadow, I think it should be the color of a shadow.
Hmmmmmmmmmm
Now, you have me thinking about the way things look over snow. LOL!!
For being color blind, I think it looks great. Your doing fine.

Kevin D Burns said:
but has a "very, very, very" and I stress very, light blue cast still on the snow.

I agree, although I can't tell if it's really there or it's a color trick because of how close it is to the other photo. Somehow I don't think I'd notice the blue if it weren't side-by-side with the other photo.

If your question is whether this programme yields the right results after a colour correction, I'd say, yes, I think it does.
Apart from the remaining bluish shadows in the corrected version, I at first found that version (side by side with the too blue photo) a bit on the pink side, but I fear this is caused by the blue photo right next to the corrected one.
If you simply want to know: "Does the programme do what I can't do myself with my vision?", then: yes.

Thanks everyone,

I now have more confidence to tackle some old images which I had abandoned as "a job for someone with normal colour vision". Also in regard to the blue tinge that remains - yes, i did that intentinally... The method I used has the following steps:

1. read the RGB values from a pixel that should be black
2. correct each colour curve for that pixel to RGB=[0 0 0]
3. read the RGB values from a pixel that should be white
4. correct each colour curve for that pixel to RGB=[240 240 240] (not 255 because apparently when printing the image its best if all pixels have some ink layed to paper)
5. read the RGB values from a pixel that should be grey
6. correct each colour curve for that pixel to RGB=[x x x] where x is the average of the grey pixel's RGB index.

It is step six where i left some blue. I had thought that perhaps white snow in shadow should actually be reflecting the blue sky a little? and was attempting to err on the side of caution a little.

Thanks again.

Brian

It's certainly close enough... Nobody would say "the colour's off" if you posted it in critique - it's only cos we're looking at a very blue version first - the mind plays tricks.

Rob

the second is fine.(to fix it completly open curves or levels click on the middle/grey eyedropper and click anywhere on the snow that doesnt have a shadow on it.) the blue shadow is natural.:| a semi-transparent blue plastic sled is going to cast a blue shadow.

The second images looks very magenta to me, and a trip to Photoshop confirms it. A sample spot from the "white" cloud shows 195R, 188G, 219B. A color balance adjustment of +20G and -30B still leaves it a bit blue, but that works for a snow scene and it's much more neutral looking than the magenta. After this, I think it needs a slight contrast boost using curves to get the white a bit more white and not grey.

Brian_barrett said:
3. read the RGB values from a pixel that should be white
4. correct each colour curve for that pixel to RGB=[240 240 240] (not 255 because apparently when printing the image its best if all pixels have some ink layed to paper)
I don't think that works and leaves the image without a true white and lower contrast. If there's something white in the image, it usually pays to have at least one pixel at 255,255,255.

Try keeping the channels palette open when colour correcting. You will be able to see which channels are too muddy or plugged up. In this case I would convert to cmyk and lighten the cyan and magenta channels.

I'm color blind, RYG and the best tool I have found is to have my wife sitting next to me when I color correct.

Most reactions

Back