What's new

Help! Comparing 5D mk II and 7D on durability

Gisle

TPF Noob!
Joined
Nov 25, 2010
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Hello, I was curious whether anyone here could give me any information on what the expected durability of the Canon 5D mk II and the Canon 7D could possibly be, and perhaps especially in comparison to eachother. Expected lifetime of the products to be more specific. They will be used very frequently over several years by several different people people.

I notice that one difference is that the 7D is: "Environmentally sealed". How significant is this when it comes to durability?

Also I would love some feedback as to whether the 5D`s eventual extended durability due to its increased costs can justify the rather steep price increase of the product.

This is the information I have been using so far:
http://www.dphotojournal.com/canon-7d-reviews-sample-photos-user-manual/

Thanks for any feedback in advance!
 
Last edited:
Not to sound like an elitist or anything, but I would love some credentials to back up any posts.

Thanks for any feedback in advance!


That is rather rude if you ask me. Your first post, no one knows who you are and you want "credentials"...

How about just an answer to your question?
Or
Maybe some more effort on your part, as the info you are requesting can easily be found on the net.
 
I have a suggestion... buy them both and post back here in 7 years and let us know how it worked out.

Before I give a serious response, please post up your question asking creds. Post up more links of research you did, detailed analysis of each cameras durability, point format please, a 1 page essay as to what you plan on using the cameras for and why you need them for so long (I'll accept double spaced lines), the selection of lenses you are going to use, the warranty or extended warranties you plan on buying, your current store (online or local) that you plan on purchasing from along with their fiscal viability in the long term should you have a need to bring the camera back there.
 
Maybe some more effort on your part, as the info you are requesting can easily be found on the net.

How does one confirm the creds of the interwebs?
 
I have a suggestion... buy them both and post back here in 7 years and let us know how it worked out.

Do you have any credential to back up that statement??? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
 
I have a suggestion... buy them both and post back here in 7 years and let us know how it worked out.

Do you have any credential to back up that statement??? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Ummmm...:confused:

I've been thanked over 180 times, so that should mean something, right? I also have webbed toes. You MUST trust someone who is the next step in evolution.
 
I wonder when the post edit is coming :sexywink:
 
Heh, had a suspicion this was how this was going to work out. I apologize for my rudeness, and implore any administrator to simply close this thread. Was not aware of the Thanks system but that was pretty much exactly what I would have wanted anyway when it came to my unfortunate comment concerning credentials. Was not looking into this from a consumer perspective by the way, so it was not a purely evil and egotistical reasoning behind. I just hoped for some "creds" as I hoped to use any help given in a discussion with other off-line persons, and referencing a net forum unfortunately has little to no weight in a situation like that in my experience :(

I would love to post more detailed information about the lenses and that way be able to perhaps get some proper help, but unfortunately I`ve already run out of time for when I need the information (This was a shot in the dark :P) so it seems kind of pointless at this point anyway.

I did however notice that both cameras also have the same amount of expected shutter durability (150,000 cycles) so that seems to indicate that they should last the same amount of time given equal distribution of pictures taken per time period.

Again sorry for any percieved rudeness on my part, I just stumbled into this forum and obviously broke the unwritten code of conduct, and perhaps the written one as well but I did not have time to get aquainted with you fine fellows over several months to become an integrated and respected part of this probably nice community (When you dont ask about things in a slightly douchy way I bet ;) )

And again, close or let die.
 
I did however notice that both cameras also have the same amount of expected shutter durability (150,000 cycles) so that seems to indicate that they should last the same amount of time given equal distribution of pictures taken per time period.
That's not really an expected durability figure, it's more likely an average rate of failure. In other words, it might last much longer or it might fail before that number of actuations.
And keep in mind that the shutter is a replaceable part.
 
Durability is highly dependent on how a camera is treated and the environment where it is used.

A 7D used to shoot field sports from the sidelines will be used much harder, subjected to ocassional shocks, and is a much harsher environment than a 5D MKII used in a studio, or even visa-versa.

The two cameras you mentioned are designed for different uses, which I allude to in the previous paragraph.

Obviously, cost is your main issue, not durability. ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓

whether the 5D`s eventual extended durability due to its increased costs can justify the rather steep price increase of the product.

The "rather steep price increase of the 5D" MKII is not necessarily an indication it will have "extended durability".

Curiously, you don't question the difference in the size of the 2 camera's image sensors, camera features, capabilities, and how that will impact lens selection and suitability for the unstated use contemplated "over several years by several different people." :scratch:


The full frame image sensor in the 5D MKII has a direct bearing on it's cost, because the image sensor alone costs more to manufacture.
 
Heh, had a suspicion this was how this was going to work out.

So you admit this post was created with the premise that you would offend people? And you laugh about it?

Really? :twak:

Again sorry for any percieved rudeness on my part,

I doubt you're sorry. You seem like an arrogant ass, not just rude. At least that's the way I perceive you.

To be honest, I'm surprised you've gotten the help you have, however little there is. Just goes to show the nature of some here willing to help you even though you're an ass. (Nothing personal, just an observation. ;) )
 
Last edited:
Durability is highly dependent on how a camera is treated and the environment where it is used.

A 7D used to shoot field sports from the sidelines will be used much harder, subjected to ocassional shocks, and is a much harsher environment than a 5D MKII used in a studio, or even visa-versa.

The two cameras you mentioned are designed for different uses, which I allude to in the previous paragraph.

Obviously, cost is your main issue, not durability. ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓

whether the 5D`s eventual extended durability due to its increased costs can justify the rather steep price increase of the product.

The "rather steep price increase of the 5D" MKII is not necessarily an indication it will have "extended durability".

Curiously, you don't question the difference in the size of the 2 camera's image sensors, camera features, capabilities, and how that will impact lens selection and suitability for the unstated use contemplated "over several years by several different people." :scratch:

The full frame image sensor in the 5D MKII has a direct bearing on it's cost, because the image sensor alone costs more to manufacture.

You bring up a good point about the fact that I focus so solely on durability and not on quality of the pictures taken aswell as the usage of the cameras and the choice of lenses. And the reason I brought it up as I did was because that was the way information that was relied to me. I was a bit skeptical about claims that the 5D has superior quality not only in the pictures taken but also in the durability of the camera compared to the 7D. And your post seems to indicate that at least I was somewhat right about that.

Would 5 years be a reasonable assumption based on relatively heavy use every third day or so?

I freely admit to having very limited knowledge about the subject so I was prepared to get schooled, which I have been.

What I meant by my other comment "Heh, had a suspicion this was how this was going to work out." is that I have experienced being in an "in" group before many times and usually this is the kind of behaviour that reveals itself when someone who is not knowledgable about a subject tries approaching professionals too quickly. It`s hard not to be percieved as an ass then because any claim you make will sound stupid, and you will be unfamiliar with the social conduct that is acceptable. Perfectly understandable, but also a bit predictable :sexywink:. If I was eloquent enough to make a short post trying to cram in all my cravings for knowledge and wish for "creds" while sounding super nice and cool, with a brand new profile in a forum, then I sure would have done that. Unfortunately I`m not that awesome :(

To me "heh", is more of a sort of sigh. Like, man I wish this didnt happen, but I realize that I should have seen it coming and it is my fault for not realizing it. Sorry if it offended your sensibilities.

I really do appreciate the help I have gotten, even though you may choose not to believe it or think I`m an arrogant ass, which I probably would have called me myself if I were in your shoes too.
 
The cost increase on the 5D MarkII has nothing to do with durability-it beats out the 7D on image quality by orders of magnitude. As has been mentioned before, they are designed for different uses. If you really want a super durable camera, look at the 1d series.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom