Help deciding on a camera and lens

kalin0121 said:
I also thought the same thing about the swivel screen. Seems like one wrong move and you end up with a broken or wobbly screen.

I have a 60d which also has a swivel screen. I seldom use it pulled out but it has a quality built hinge that feels robust. Of course if it is mishandled, it could be damaged. My favorite part of having a swivel screen is that I can close it with the glass screen facing the camera which protects it while carrying or when its in my soft bag.

The T3i has quite a few upgrades over the T1i.

I have always found that if you are buying something which you will not be replacing for a long time, then go with an upper model. If you can easily afford upgrading later then get the T1i now for learning and use it to decide which features are important to you.

The sensors in the T2i and the T3i are the same. Image quality and abilites will be exactly the same. The biggest difference in the T3i is the articulating screen. IMO-that is a recipe for a disaster, but a lot of entry level shooters and possibly video shooters really like them. The t3i has some options for reduced resolution shooting that the T2i doesn't have-which is kind of silly if you ask me. Why buy a high quality camera to reduce the quality of the image you capture? Doesn't make sense. I believe there are a couple of abilities with video that are slightly different too. So, you can save a few bucks by going with the T2i if the few differences aren't MUST NEEDS for you.
Once you move to a DSLR the screen is NOT good for taking images and focusing. You will really need to use the viewfinder (which isn't even present on most point and shoot cameras anymore) to get the best images. So, the screen being a NEED? probably not for most people.
Review on the T3i from CNet 'Choosing between the T3i, T2i, 60D and 7D' - Canon EOS Rebel T3i (with 18-55mm IS II lens) user review and rating - CNET Reviews

Buy the kit lens and if you have the budget to cover it add in the 50mm f/1.8 and here's why: The kit lens is a great entry level lens and has pretty decent quality for a consumer lens, but the widest aperture changes as you use the zoom on it. If you are using manual or learning to use manual that changes your settings if you move the zoom at all. The 50mm isn't a zoom and it doesn't change it's aperture on you unless you change it. That makes it a bit easier to use while you are learning about the exposure triangle.
It is also f/1.8 which is almost two stops more light than 3.5 and 3 stops more light than 5.6. What does that mean? You can shoot in MUCH MUCH less light with it than you can with the kit lens. That's a big deal inside during the winter when you are learning.
It's also a prime lens-no zoom. Primes are the sharpest lenses on the market. It'll give you a good taste for a sharp, prime lens.
It's cheap as hell for it's abilities. I think it's the cheapest lens in the canon line up right now and for a fast (f/1.8) sharp prime it's worth it's price twice over.

Then add the book Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson
After that add a decent camera bag that will allow you to keep it all safely stored in one place.

ENJOY!

I'm sure it happens but have you ever read about it happening? The T3i and 60d are very popular. I would think that you would see posts labeled 'Crap, broke my articulating screen' once in a while. I don't worry about mine and you can turn the screen around for ultimate protection.

This is not a tree in the forest type response. I am sure that someone has broken this screen lust as I am sure someone has broken a fixed screen.

I also wanted to mention that one of my favorite features of my 60d is the wireless slave flash. I use it with my 430 EX flash often. Canon added this feature to the new T3i.

I recommend picking up a flash. The 430 EX II is great. You can save about $50 with the 320 EX flash. It has a modeling/video light and can be used as a wireless shutter trigger.

I agree with Chann. Go with the latest of the models for a long time in use ahead. Keep building your collection of good lenses, tripod, flash & a adequate bag.

Most reactions

Back