Help getting clear photos.

Sorry should have specified.

@Cortian what model of camera do you have. Seems odd that you have no control of your focus points.
I have a Canon 20D. I do have control over my focus points, but not the kind of "multiple-focus-point-averaging/-whatever" mode the OP's Canon has.

I only looked at the last image you linked to and the foreground is not so badly focused. The trees are quite out of focus. As mentioned earlier, this seems to be the camera focusing on the wrong thing. I always have just the central focus point active and then I make sure that it is on the most critical part of the picture.

Hard to tell with a lot of water but in the second one, the ducks in the foreground look sharpest, midrange OK, background out of focus. #3 background looks more sharp than foreground; #4 middle seems sharper.

That leaf in the sixth one looks sharp, and in the last one the background looks more in focus than the foreground. It seems to be depth of field isn't covering enough area to get it all in focus.

I learned photography focusing manually, and did for a time use a camera's focus points, but not for long because of the focus points not always nailing the focus. I can get it focused more precisely manually. Someone mentioned using single focus point or focusing manually, maybe try one of those techniques.

With the first one of the kids, the aperture was too large. It would have been better to get in closer, frame the shot to include the interesting part of the wagon with pumpkins and sunflowers and the kids, and leave the sign and cars and telephone poles out of the frame (and out of the picture). Had you wanted a picture of the sign to record where this was probably walking to the left could've gotten a photo of that. Or you could've done a wider shot but walk around and change the vantage point, then another more close up of the kids. But for any of that you'd need a smaller aperture to get it all in focus.

The first one also had a way faster shutter speed than needed. You might have needed a fast shutter speed if the kids were jumping etc. to freeze the movement,, but 1/125 should be fast enough hand held to avoid shutter blur.

On the new pics I took today, I did manually choose the focus point on all of them. Most of them I used the center focus point.

Maybe the camera lens focus is off then because it doesn't look like it nailed the focus.

Try checking to see if you are having a back or front focus issue. On the couple I saw it appeared to be front focusing. Linked below is a simple way to check.

Try checking to see if you are having a back or front focus issue. On the couple I saw it appeared to be front focusing. Linked below is a simple way to check.
I did that test and at 70mm it is front focusing. At 42mm still front focusing. At around 18 to 20mm and f3.5 and f4.5 none of the batteries were even close to being in focus but the front was better.

Sounds like your camera is front focusing and may need to see a shop. The 60D doesn't have a micro focus adjustment capability.

Last edited:
taken at 64mm f5.6 iso 160 1/3000 speed
Agree that nearest battery (furthest right) is the sharpest and is in good focus

taken at 42mm f4.5 iso 100 1/2000 speed
Again appear to be front focusing but it's focusing even further in from. No battery is in focus

18 and 20mm test you need to get closer.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back