HELP!!! I'M FREAKING OUT!!!

LuckySe7en

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Sorry if this is in the wrong section but I'm losing my mind! My desk top has the black screen of death!!!

"disc boot failure, insert disc and press enter"

Is my hard drive done?! I've checked the seating of the cables and they're fine. I might attempt to freeze it but wanted to see if any of you have encountered this before. Is there anything I can do before shooting myself?

Second question, if it is done, can I get some tech pro to retrieve some of the data on there?

Thanks

Yes. It costs a good bit, but yes.

It sounds like it to me...I had this happen. Have you been hearing any grinding noises? I think you can try to troubleshoot the probelm to be sure, but lets assume it is fried just so you can be objective and try to work around but with knowing you can get your stuff recovered.

Nothing like having your heart pound, your mind race and lose all your spit.

So you mean your drive still sound normal? If yes, did you check and see if you have another booting device which has a higher booting priority than your hard disk? (Such as a bootable USB stick or external drive that the system was trying to boot from).

If none of the above, the issue could be the drive. Is you system a Windows based computer? If yes, can you boot from the Windows CD and see if you can do a repair? Do you have access to another computer that you can download files from the internet? If yes, you can try to download UBCD for Windows and burn a Windows PE disc and boot from. Once you boot your PC with the CD, then try to see if you still see the files in your hard disk. If yes, hook up a external USB drive or connect to a network drive and start dumping data out before you attempt to do any repair.

If you cannot see any files but the system still see the hard disk, then you may need to find some data recovery software and see if they can help you on recover the files. The one I used at work is made by On-track data recovery company. But I am sure there are a lot of free one out there. Just make sure you do not try anyone that write stuff on the drive. All the one I used before do READ process only. If you are quite technical, you can take a look at a utility call findpart. (Findpart Partition Utilities). Of course, there are some paid software out there that you can try.

What OS do you have? Tell us more about your system! Have you made any bios changes lately? Have you done any system patches, upgrades, etc, lately? Installed any new software? Were you running good up to date Antivirus?

Do you have the disk for the OS that came with the system? Have you ever made any recovery disks for the system?

Need more info!

There are several good utilities out there that can help repair bad boot sectors.. but need to determine if that is what the problem is first!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back