Help! Images I took yesterday are not on the memory card...

ash12783

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Yesterday I drove 100 miles to do a session with my best client, i was there all day long and made it home about 10pm, first thing I did was get out my camera, remove the memory card and insert it into my computer to view them only to find they were not there. I had the previous 2 sessions on the card when I started and those are all still there so I'm baffled. Also, I remember when I started yesterday the camera showed I had an estimated 400 photos left to take and when i look at it now, it says just under 300 left which leads me to believe they are on there somewhere. I shoot with a canon rebel t3 and the card is a PNY high performance 16 gb that is only a couple months old, i've maybe shot 6 sessions on it. I normally format the card in camera before each shoot but i was running behind yesterday and knew i had plenty of room on the card without clearing it anyway. I have downloaded 2 photo recovery programs (Recuva, and Search and Recover) and neither seemed to work. Does anyone know what could have caused this or how to fix it? Any help would be greatly appreciated <3

Can you see the missing photos on your camera screen?

oh i tried to put all the info and forgot to say that, no i can't see them on the camera either. I know it wrote them to the card because my camera was off in between shots bc we went to different locations and later on while doing pics i was able to go back and preview the shots previously taken.

If you put the card into your computer (Not via the camera, but directly) does it show that there is data stored on the card?

i went through and deleted all the previous sessions photos then looked at the card properties and it still showed a little over 2 gigs in use. i atleast have a little hope right now as i downloaded a 3rd software and it's the first one where i can even see one of the photos

Don't use the card for anything till you solve this. If the files got deleted somehow they are still there and can be recovered. If you take any new pics they will overwrite the deleted ones.

thankfully i read about that last night before i did something like that lol

Don't use the card for anything till you solve this. If the files got deleted somehow they are still there and can be recovered. If you take any new pics they will overwrite the deleted ones.

I agree to Rick50, and as you said that your card is being reconized by the computer, i will suggest you to hunt for some more good photo recovery software online. If you are able to preview the photos through the use of the software, you will recover the photos back.

I have about 10 memory cards and rotate them as I go along for this very reason.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep.
Best practice is to have multiple cards available and dedicate a card (or 2) to a shoot.

A 16 GB memory card in a 12.2 MP camera is overkill, and it's not a good idea to have all of you eggs (multiple client shoots) in one basket.
Four 4 GB cards makes more sense since 4 GB can hold about 200 Raw image files made from a 12 MP image sensor.

make sure your card is supported by the camera.
Many newer cards may not be supported by older cameras and you can get weird results.

I would first look at the card with my operating system "FILE EXPLORER" and see if another Folder has been created on the card.
I'd also pop all the other cards into the pc and look at them, could be I mixed them up a bit.
Then I'd try the file recovery stuff.

I think you can take your date back through some authentic recovery software you might get your data back in the card..

Most reactions

New Topics

Back