Help in purchasing a new camera?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Aknight0053, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Aknight0053

Aknight0053 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I currently have a older model DSLR that's only 12 megapixel. I have not invested in any lenses over the years of taking photos. This camera does fairly well but after reviewing photos I still feel that they need some extra quality and color enhancements or filters. I'm sort of an armature but have been doing my homework lately and trying to learn as much as possible. I'd would like to upgrade and sort of confused and undecided on what would be best for myself. I plan to go big into photography such taking family, children, and weddings. I've posted pictures on fb lately and have had so many people ask if I would take pictures for them. Any advice would help I have 1200$ to spent but if it was possible to save I would love it any recommendations?

2. nerwin

nerwin Been spending a lot of time on here!

What make and model are you shooting with now and what lenses do you own currently?

3. goodguy

goodguy Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Get a Nikon D5500 with kit lens and add the Nikon 50mm 1.8G
    This will be a good starting point.
    The kit lens will be good for general stuff and the Nikon 50mm 1.8G is good for portrait and when you need to shoot in low light.

4. Aknight0053

Aknight0053 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Using cannon rebel t3 and lens is 18-55

5. Aknight0053

Aknight0053 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thank you for the advice. I'm familiar with cannon since it is what I currently own. I looked at the Nikon d7200 but its all new and somewhat whelming. But I hate to spend 800$ now and then yr or two down the road wish I had purchased better camera. Idk what to do!

6. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Please, do not let that tie you to Canon...the 18-55 lens is nothing to allow yourself to be a slave to Canon...Buy yourself a one-generation back Nikon in your price range. It will have a better sensor than any Canon has, and be a better camera too. You say ypu do not want to "spend 800$ now and then yr or two down the road wish I had purchased better camera." Simple--don't buy another low-performing Canon.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. nerwin

nerwin Been spending a lot of time on here!

So I'm going to recommend the D5300. It really is a nice camera. It will blow that Canon T3 out of the water.

Nikon D5300 DSLR Camera with 18-55mm and 55-300mm Lenses 13488

It comes with the 18-55 kit lens and the 55-300 VR which are both decent lenses for starting off. Also if you buy it via B&H, you get a free camera bag and memory card.

With the extra money left, I'd recommend you also picking up a 35 1.8G

Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX Nikkor Lens 2183 B&H Photo

That adds up to around $1,022.

This is a really great starting point I think. If you want, you can allocate a $100 or so and pay for Adobe CC and get Photoshop & Lightroom.

If you are really serious about getting into photography, this is probably what I'd do.

8. goodguy

goodguy Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    In my eyes Nikon D7200 is the best crop sensor general use camera, it does everything very well.
    It has the best sensor currently in the market and you get a weather sealed body with lots of features and in body AF motor.
    Why did I recommended the D5500 ?
    Because it shares same sensor and processor with the D7200 so you pretty much get same low light performance, Dynamic range.....etc
    The AF system on the D5500 is also good even though the D7200 leads here.
    So if you can afford the D7200 then I totally agree but if you cant the D5500 is very close to the D7200 in many ways.
    Also dont forget the D5500 is much smaller and lighter, this might or might not be important for you.
    And last there is the swivel/touch screen the D5500 which the D7200 doesn't, again this might or might not be important.

9. Designer

Designer Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Greetings!

Please do not assume that megapixels is everything. Lots of pros use cameras with what you might consider "not enough megapixels", and they make excellent photographs. Yes, the body is part of it, sure, but don't forget about high-performance lenses, as those will make a huge difference.

Wanting to move up to quality without dropping a wad of cash? Get a lightly used or refurbished camera that has been expertly evaluated for proper function and comes with at least some kind of warranty. Shopping at a reputable dealer is your best assurance of getting quality merchandise with somebody's reputation to back it up.

Also, as I wrote above; get at least one high-quality lens with which to move into the "prosumer" realm. I would love to read that you found a very lightly used Nikon D5300 Nikon D5300 24.2 Megapixel Digital SLR Camera Body Only - Black | KEH Camera ($468) with an AF-S Nikkor 85mm 1:1.8 G (used about $400) and an AF-S Nikkor 50mm 1:1.8 G (used about $150). That kit will perform far beyond your wildest hopes and give you a taste of what you can do with some quality equipment.

I didn't check everywhere for the lenses, but you can search on your own at either of these fine outlets:

Adorama
    B&H
    KEH

10. Aknight0053

Aknight0053 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thank you all so very much! This is greatly appreciated!!! I've spoken with a photographer and she has amazing images but also uses an Nikon d810. So now I'm wondering if my images will be able to compar to hers since she has what I think is the full fram and such an expensive camera but also know she uses vsco a lot. I have noticed eBay has some really good prices and packages. I'm afraid the deals are to good to be true even though they have excleant reviews.

11. DarkHoody

DarkHoody TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'd recommend you watch the "Pro tog, cheap camera challenge" on youtube. :D

12. DarkHoody

DarkHoody TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

also this :