Help in purchasing a new camera?

Yeah...skill...is important. I've often said that beginning and intermediate shooters are the ones who benefit the most from ADVANCED equipment. Lower-level and intermediate shooters are the ones whose capabilities and creativity skyrocket when they get rid of old, crappy gear, and move to something that has great built-in specifications. The more experience one has, the more one can work around crappy gear. The beginner? Not so much.

The biggest issue Canon has is poor sensor performance in its APS-C cameras, plus that complacent leader's attitude of offering cheapened bodies and selling based on Being Number One in unit sales. The McDonald's approach to restaurant ownership. It's shocking how poor the EOS 7D and 7D-II image performance actually is at higher ISO levels. Canon fans love to try to distract form how POOR the image quality is if a file needs to be shadow recovered after the shot, in software. Noise is Canon's Achilles heel. Canon makes all its own sensors, on outdated machinery, with substandard chip creation technology--this keeps their profit margin higher. Why buy the BEST sensors available, when your own are "ehhh...good enough..." ?

Some basics on how Canon views it customers:
Canon T3 versus Nikon D5300 (one-generation back Nikon mid-level consumer camera).

Nikon has 39 AF points, Canon T3 has 9. Nikon 200 millisecond shutter lag, Canon 309. Nikon 24-bit color depth, Canon 21.9 bit. Nikon screen 3.2", Canon 2.7". Nikon rear LCD is higher-resolution than the Canon's now outdated spec of only 237,000 dots. Nikon, HAS external microphone jack, Canon…NO. Nikon does in0-camera HDR, Canon…no. Nikon has 9 cross-type AF points, Canon has ONE. Nikon shoots at 5 frames a second, Canon shoots at 2.9 frames a second. Nikon has contrast detection Autofocus in video mode, Canon does not. Nikon is 24.2 megapixel, the old T3 is 12.1 MP. And the one that area that Canon sucks so,so badly on, overall sensor performance: the Nikon's Dynamic Range at Base ISO, is 13.9 EV, Canon's a pathetic 11.0 EV dynamic range. D5300 has a tilt screen, and built-in WiFi, has higher effective ISO, and has built-in GPS, shoots 60p video. The D5300 has a 100-frame JPEG buffer, the T3 has a 17-shot buffer. In RAW mode, the D5300 shoots at 4.0 frames/second, the T3 in RAW shoot fires at 2.0 fps.

It's simple….Nikon builds even its entry-level cameras with very good hardware and specifications and performance.

Moving to the new Rebel T5 versus the one-generation-outdated Nikon D5300, the Nikon still easily is better camera. Compare the Canon EOS Rebel T5 vs the Nikon D5300 Overall score in total? Canon 46 pts, Nikon 89 pts.

Canon T5i still trounced by the outdated Nikon D5300.

Compare the Canon Rebel T5i vs the Nikon D5300

Moving to Canons NEWEST Rebel model level, the Canon T6s STILL loses to the one-generation-outdated Nikon D5300, by a score of 70 to 89…and the Nikon still has 39 AF points, the Canon T6s has 19. Nikon still has 13.9 EV dynamic range, Canon 12 EV, Nikon shoots better video, bigger battery, Nikon has GPS, Canon does not.

So…an older Nikon D5300 is easily the best moderately-priced APS-C d-slr for the person looking for a LOT of features, but NOT paying the price penalty of the body being brand-new, or the penalty of shooting a Canon entry-level camera in 2016. The D5300 is $499 at BestBuy, the Rebel T6s is $849 at BestBuy.

I'd recommend you watch the "Pro tog, cheap camera challenge" on youtube. :D
I agree with this as a general advice - these are entertaining and enlightening - but I'm utterly confused why this would matter to this thread ?

The "pro tog, cheap camera challenge" basically shows how professional photographers can get good pictures out of even an abysmal camera. It certainly helps you trying to get the maximum out of your equipment.

It does not help whatsoever with choosing a good photography hardware, though. Certainly if you conclude "you can make good photographs with any camera" you're right, but if you conclude "you can make any great photograph with any camera" you're deadly wrong.

I did not intend to say that, and I did not conclude what you said.

I am not qualified to give an answer to his question, only few days ago I joined this forum to help me choose my first camera.

Along with that advice I also posted the link to another video, "Pro DSLR + cheapo lens vs cheapo DSLR + pro lens". Now that obviously doesn't answer his question but it might help him make a decision; it definitely helped me. The no. of products available and the difference in people's opinion only confuses a person. I was only trying to help; sorry if it seemed as something else. :)

Most reactions

Back