Help, is my Mirror Slipping?? (Pics)

RickyN29

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Well, I really loved my Ricoh XR-10 (I know, I know, terrible camera, but I really liked it for some reason). So I decided to pick up a Ricoh XR-M. It was very dirty, but I cleaned it up some, and plan to take it in for a cleaning. Everything seems to function well, and I am really impressed with the 3 fps!

However, the mirror gets stuck up a lot of the time. Upon close inspection, it looks like the mirror itself is slipping off the mount! The mirror actually hits on one the lens mount rings.

Does that look like the problem to you? How much would you estimate to repair?

Here are full size pics to get an idea of where you are looking, then a close up cropped version.

Absolutely any input is greatly appreciated, I have searched all over the internet and the forum and cannot find any info. This sort of problem is completely new to me.

01IMG_0144.jpg

As you can see, there is a gap between the mirror and the holder in the back, and it sticks out past the end of the holder (sorry, I do not know the terminology)

01IMG_0144.jpg

0IMG_0146.jpg

On both sides, the mirror just barely grazes one of the rings (plastic ring that turns) where the lens mounts.

02IMG_0146.jpg

Here is the gap up above (a better shot) This does not seem right to me, which led me to think the mirror has slide down!

0IMG_0150.jpg

03IMG_0150.jpg

Many many many thanks!

sure looks like it. I'd try and push it back up myself before turning it in for repair.

The mirror is sticking up because the foam mirror bumpers are rotted, they get gummy. It's easy to replace them yourself. Someone may know a foam supplier on e-bay that has a kit otherwise I may have some scraps you are welcome to if you'd e-mail me your address?

Your mirror may have slipped down but I suspect the gap is just not really important to worry about. As someone else mentioned, you might try pushing it gently up using a toothpick but be very careful not to crack it as it's only 1mm thick and very fragile.

[email protected]
paul, NYC

I don't see foam in there anywhere. I have read that foam can be an issue on a lot of cameras, but on this ricoh, I don't think it uses any.

A shop said $70 to fix, but I can't decide if i is worth it. I have not even ran a roll through yet so who knows what other problems it might have.

On a side note, a lens I just bought also Sigma 35-70 f2.8 is also broken! The rear most element literally fell out :-(

I took the lens apart, and I super glued it back in, but it almost looks like a part is missing. Once it dries, we shall see what happens.

On a side note, a lens I just bought also Sigma 35-70 f2.8 is also broken! The rear most element literally fell out :-(

I took the lens apart, and I super glued it back in, but it almost looks like a part is missing. Once it dries, we shall see what happens.

Sad :(

Uh, but that is exciting ... I wonder if doing this yourself might cause AF problems now, since I would guess the lens could now need some adjustment ... keep us updated.

Brave anyway to do it by yourself :)

Your mirror may have slipped down but I suspect the gap is just not really important to worry about. As someone else mentioned, you might try pushing it gently up using a toothpick but be very careful not to crack it as it's only 1mm thick and very fragile.

[email protected]
paul, NYC

Toothpick worked!!!! I am so happy!!

I gently applied pressure and it slid back up. However, when bursting 3fps, the mirror would slide down again. So I pushed it back up, and ran a tiny line of crazy glue along the edge of the plastic. Now it doesn't budge! Yippie!

I bet that is all they were going to do and then charge me all that money!!

Wow, so a body and a lens....all repaired with crazy glue! I cannot wait to run a roll through and develop it! Hopefully everything is fine, so far it looks like it will work great.

Many thanks everyone! I'll post some pics from the 'Crazy Glued Camera/Lens' once I snap some.

Most reactions

Back