Help! Is "Wells Cameras" prices too good to be true?

kbs

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I recently discovered this website (wells-cameras.com) which I believe is based out of the UK. About 4 days ago I ordered a Nikon D7000 from a reputable company but saving a ton of coin is always more desirable. I know this place sounds too good to be true and is almost certainly not an authorized Nikon dealer. I see no harm in asking about it though. Last night I sent out an email to them concerning this matter and it does not appear that a reply came in yet. Thanks in advance to anyone who knows about this site.

Edit: corrected website address (forgot the dash)

Last edited:
Buyer beware, indeed.

Store Ratings & Reviews - ResellerRatings.com - Find Trusted Stores

Punch it into there and see if a review comes up for it - if bait and switch or similar scam complaints come up walk away from the shop.

Also are you spelling that name right, only google finds no such website in use at all, and the only reference on reseller ratings was to an old (also now dead) wellsdigital which was a scam site (also dealing in cameras).

Store Ratings & Reviews - ResellerRatings.com - Find Trusted Stores

Punch it into there and see if a review comes up for it - if bait and switch or similar scam complaints come up walk away from the shop.

Also are you spelling that name right, only google finds no such website in use at all, and the only reference on reseller ratings was to an old (also now dead) wellsdigital which was a scam site (also dealing in cameras).

I just corrected the web address, sorry about that.
"Wellsdigital" huh?? That sounds quite close to "wells-cameras"... too close. :thumbdown: :grumpy:

A not very well constructed site - may also be linked to best-technologies4you.com (click on the Let's Talk Business graphic) Site is registered in US & hosted in Holland. The phone number belongs in Cardiff. Redboxcameras is listed at the address given in Tunbridge Wells & has a genuine site: OnLine supplier for Cameras - Binoculars & Accessories – RedBoxcameras.com - I'll be contacting them to warn them, if they don't know already.

Nikon and Canon fix/set the dealer prices, it's not possible for a reputable dealer to lower their prices more than any other dealer.

I also sent Wells Cameras an email inquiring about EOS Canon 7D and a lens. I have yet to hear back from them. I was looking at them because buyherephoto appears to be a bait-&-switch house in NY offering very low process.
Warning! it is always buyer beware!

I Will report back my findings if I get a reply email.:meh:

Wells-Cameras.com is the website! I also found this page of information for wire transfers that reads as follows:

"Bank
Barclays
Bank Address
403 Holloway Road, London, United Kingdom, N7 6HL

Account
WELLS CAMERAS LTD

SWIFT/BIC
BARC GB22

IBAN
GB37 BARC 2046 5703 3782 25

Sort Code: 20-46-57

Account number: 03378225

Please transfer full amount of you order "

SO! Does this mean that once they have your $$$, you are SOL?
Credit cards, you can dispute! Wire transfers, you are "SOL"

Can someone contact Barclays Bank to see if this is legit?

they are selling a Nikon D700 with an 18-105mm lens as a kit lol :thumbdown:

Wells-Cameras.com is the website! I also found this page of information for wire transfers that reads as follows:

"Bank
Barclays
Bank Address
403 Holloway Road, London, United Kingdom, N7 6HL

Account
WELLS CAMERAS LTD

SWIFT/BIC
BARC GB22

IBAN
GB37 BARC 2046 5703 3782 25

Sort Code: 20-46-57

Account number: 03378225

Please transfer full amount of you order "

SO! Does this mean that once they have your $$$, you are SOL?
Credit cards, you can dispute! Wire transfers, you are "SOL"

Can someone contact Barclays Bank to see if this is legit?
OH HELL NO!!!
No way in hell I'd bank transfer for the sale of anything. I wouldn't even bother to call the bank. That is a HUGE red flag right there.

What MLeek said - no legitimate shop ever offers bank transfer as a payment method. Western Union and other 3rd party bank transfers are the same warning light not to deal with them at all.

Note Western Union isn't a bad service, but, as said above, bank transfer is done at your own risk with no protections and services like Western Union allow for parties to easily take money and close down the account and vanish.

This is right on the RedBox camera website:

[h=2]Contact Us[/h] RedBox Cameras
5 Monson Road
Tunbridge Wells
Kent
United Kingdom
TN1 1LS
Tel: 01892 544 702
[email protected]
VAT Registration No.: 661 8069 22

[h=4]wells-cameras.com[/h] It has been brought to our attention that the web site named above claim to trade at the same address as Redboxcameras and also are in some way connected. This is NOT the case. Redbox Cameras has no connection or involvment in any way with Wells-Cameras.com.

Wire transfers are used a lot with overseas B2B but for retail I would say it is a scam. The only time I have to wire money is when I am having a product made overseas for a client. But in those cases there is a contract involved and I KNOW who I am doing business with. Never wire money to strangers or someone you haven’t met in person.

If you’re buying something online and the seller insists on a money transfer as the only form of payment that’s acceptable. Ask to use a credit card, an escrow service or another way to pay. If you pay by credit or charge card online, you have some protection. Insisting on a money transfer is a signal that you won’t get the item – or your money back.

Actually I have bought car parts from places in California that don't accept international credits cards and their means of payment is through bank wire. Never had a problem but in this case it's a scam.

Most reactions

Back