help manually focus

Kofman13

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So in the near future im going to sell my oly setup and switch,,,..

until then i want the best out of my gear. looking through the tiny view finder, i can never get perfect focus. is there a method to focusing where you look at the numbers on the dial on the body of the 50 mm 1.8 OM lens in relation to distance of subject?

Any particular reason why you don't use Auto focus?

i cant afford auto auto focus 50 mm lens for oly,,,,, so i got OM,,, is the reason im switching to canon

Katz is awesome but If um gonna spend 100$.. I'm not gonna use manual...

I've heard of a number of people have decent luck with the cheap off shore versions of the split focusing screens. May not be a good as the Katzeye, but definitely a lot cheaper. (if they make one for your brand of camera)

my nikon gives me a green dot when my subject's in focus. its not always accurate but i found that if i focus to the closest distance that still gives me the green dot, 95% of the time, its the focus i want.

Well i don't have your camera Patrick :D on manual lens it doesn't give me green dot. I'll look around for cheaper focus screens

Hmm should I try one I found for $21.... Money i could put towards an XSi

You may also want to learn more about Depth of Field (how to calculate) and Hyperfocal Distance. If your manual focus lens has a DoF scale, you can use that too.

That seems helpful but in the review it says it's good for people with bad eyesight. I have good eye sight so difference wouldn't be big

I think it might help. After all, you started this thread saying "looking through the tiny view finder, i can never get perfect focus".

:p if you're dead bent on getting than XSi then i'd save the money, or get something that can be used on both cameras... :] but in general... just try taking more than one shot when using manual focus. manual focus isn't all that bad once you get used to it. AF misses focus more than you think!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back