Help me choose a B&W film

Coldow91

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am looking to get 100' of a b&w film and I have tried a bunch of films but have not zeroed in on one. I am looking for I think a 400 speed film that I can pull to 200 for landscapes but also push to 800 and maybe 1600. Would tri-x be a good choice? Hp5?

The differences between those two aren't all that great from my recollection of the last time I used either. I'll guarantee you get more variation by changing what you develop in. I'd perhaps go for Tri-X and then play around with short lengths in a small selection of developers - though I have no idea what's still available these days.

yeah I was thinking of getting 100' of film and then getting two other developers to go with my current Tmax Dev. Maybe Diafine and something else?

I'm an HP5 fan myself, but I usually shoot Arista Premium from Freestyle Photo, which is repackaged Tri-X.. mainly because it's less than $2 per roll. FYI, Arista Premium is also sold in bulk on freestyle's website.

I always liked T-Max 100.

– Pete

I have shot tmax100 before and liked it but I don't think it does too well at 1600.

I'm an HP5 fan myself, but I usually shoot Arista Premium from Freestyle Photo, which is repackaged Tri-X.. mainly because it's less than $2 per roll. FYI, Arista Premium is also sold in bulk on freestyle's website.
I have just shot my first roll of Arista premium it is drying right now.

btw what is a good B&W landscape film?

ok I think I am going to get Arista premium 400 100' now I just gotta get a bulk loader

Only 2 I use... TriX400 (because the school wanted me too haha) and Ilford 400 because I wanted to haha

of course I will use the 100's as well

I am probably going to get Arista 400. Do I need anything besides the film, a bulk loader (let me know if you are offering one for cheap) and an empty film canister

If it's not too late.... count a vote in for Ilford HP5+. In fact, count a vote in for everything and anything that Ilford makes - those guys are the BOMB.

I definitely will still shoot illford. but I am looking for an everything/snapshot film that I can always have in my camera and I think Arista 400 is the right film, and its cheap.

I am probably going to get Arista 400. Do I need anything besides the film, a bulk loader (let me know if you are offering one for cheap) and an empty film canister

I've grown quite fond of neopan. However I haven't shot much of the 35mm stuff. Love it for my medium format work. Might be worth a shot it's a tad bit cheaper than tri-x and hp5. I use to shoot a lot of t-max but it's just not that appealing and the only place that sells it locally charges like $5.50 a roll...ridiculous

Most reactions

Back