Help me choose my future "pro gear"

Does the 910 kit come with pocketwizards or any other slaves? If not pocketwizards should be your next purchase after this stuff. You'll find them along with the flashes being your most useful tools during skate shoots.

Off topic: Have you posted any of your skate photography?! I'd love to see it. I got into photography by photographing skaters.

Took some directly from facebook, so quality isnt perfect. There are some flaws on editing, composing, etc, but they are at least 1 year old, i've evolved a lot as a photographer since then haha :p
Anyway:

1074275_641939432483424_1021276093_o.jpg

1074231_641902512487116_1900438707_o.jpg

1097256_641934162483951_120738827_o.jpg

904858_598751340135567_239395792_o.jpg

902654_599615353382499_638572028_o.jpg

61584_599636480047053_97182806_n.jpg

913978_598570806820287_1171118927_o.jpg

883534_579323718744996_312851171_o.jpg

226503_579323755411659_652419073_n.jpg

665593_519709884706380_13723609_o.jpg

Ohhh skate photography! I got into photography via skate photography on my T3i as well. I've just upgraded to a nicer camera (7d, so not FF), but if you're shooting with a wide angle, AF doesn't matter because you want everything in focus anyway. Just set to the distance of your skater and tighten down your aperture. With primes (I love primes) or telephotos, the AF speed isn't that much faster on my 7d vs T3i. Yeah you get to use more points and compose your shot better, but you're still going to miss some waiting on focus lock (at least in my experience).

IMG_8126 by christophercoxphoto, on Flickr

IMG_7550 by christophercoxphoto, on Flickr

IMG_7604 by christophercoxphoto, on Flickr

IMG_7955 by christophercoxphoto, on Flickr

Sid

Still wanting to "go pro"?

Success at making photography your sole source of income will likely depend on you being versatile enough to meet the requirements of clients coming to you. Be ready for almost anything - architecture, product, school, portraits (personal and corporate), parties, graduation, weddings and corporate events…and still more not mentioned. In other words, skateboarding and travel pictures might not pay the bills.

Versatility and dependability should be your prime considerations in equipment choice.
Solid fast responding camera body (aka D3s, D4)
Versatile wide zoom (or a single wide prime) to which you can add filters and with the lowest distortion or a wide PC lens
Fast mid zoom (24 or 28 to 70) plus a fast 50mm
Fast short tele zoom (70-200)
Fast 85
100 mm (or so) macro
then as needed you can rent fast long telephotos as needed (300+ mm)
a decent, rugged and powerful speed light
a reasonable set of off camera lights and modifiers

From my experience and that of my photography acquaintances stay with OEM equipment in the 'pro' ranges. Start with the basics but get the good stuff right from the start. Don't obsess with DXO results - go with what is field proven.

The versatility of yourself and your equipment and the dependability of your gear will greatly help towards being able to earn a living. Don't forget to get some education in marketing and in the management of a small business. The business side is more crucial than the gear side.

"Going Pro" is a big step from "Enthusiastic Amateur" and requires a different mind set and approach.

All meant with the best intentions and I wish you luck. Be smart, persevere, and it should work out.

Hello everyone,

I am an "semi-pro" photographer trying to get into the professional scene. I've been photographing mostly skateboard events and trips, and the only reason that i don't do that as much as i want to do is because of the lack of equipement. I currently own a Canon T3i with a 18-135 kit lens and a Manfrotto 055xprob tripod.

Someone ready to go 'Pro' would not have to ask those questions. You need more learning experience.

Someone ready to go 'Pro' would not have to ask those questions. You need more learning experience.

Valid point, however, do not take it for granted. That depends (a lot) from what cultural context you are talking from.
In some cultures and countries, there is nothing wrong with that.

Valid point, however, do not take it for granted. That depends (a lot) from what cultural context you are talking from.
In some cultures and countries, there is nothing wrong with that.

I don't get it. Going pro means your confident in your abilities as a photographer and businessman/woman, and by that point you should know what you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you guys even read the OP? this guy is not ignorant of the equipment he's looking into getting. He's simply asking for suggestions and opinions. Are people so narrow minded these days that they think being "pro" means you must have absolute 100% knowledge of every camera, lens and flash and should never look for the opinions of others in your field?

He's not asking you to tell him what he needs, hes seeking other points of view before he makes a big purchase that could effect his budget in a big way. It's more professional and business conscious of him to be asking these questions than it is for you to be labeling him as inadequate or unskilled because of his inquiry.

And if youre judging from his photos, he already said they are a year old, and a lot can be accomplished in a years time.

Last edited:
Did you guys even read the OP? this guy is not ignorant of the equipment he's looking into getting. He's simply asking for suggestions and opinions. Are people so narrow minded these days that they think being "pro" means you must have absolute 100% knowledge of every camera, lens and flash and should never look for the opinions of others in your field?

He's not asking you to tell him what he needs, hes seeking other points of view before he makes a big purchase that could effect his budget in a big way. It's more professional and business conscious of him to be asking these questions than it is for you to be labeling him as inadequate or unskilled because of his inquiry.

And if youre judging from his photos, he already said they are a year old, and a lot can be accomplished in a years time.

Exactly.

Sid, the first and the third to last of those skate shots is my favorite. I can see you've got a good eye and a willingness to bend the rules when its a good idea (like keeping the take off point out of the first image) I'd highly recommend cropping that last image in from the left and top. The subject is too centered currently and the leftand top portions of the image just don't add that much interest.

Whatever you've been doing with editing its really stylistic and its working. Though it may be overdone in some.. Its hard to say as that effect is very hard to find a sweet spot for (I know from plenty of experience) and even when you have, some will view it as overdone and others will see it as not enough. Know what I mean?

Any of the skaters you shoot good enough to get sponsored? If so working for them is a great step into a photography career. Hell, you could shoot skaters for life if you get in with a good pro skater soon enough. I'd definitely consider starting to do some video as well.

Sid, the first and the third to last of those skate shots is my favorite. I can see you've got a good eye and a willingness to bend the rules when its a good idea (like keeping the take off point out of the first image) I'd highly recommend cropping that last image in from the left and top. The subject is too centered currently and the leftand top portions of the image just don't add that much interest.

Whatever you've been doing with editing its really stylistic and its working. Though it may be overdone in some.. Its hard to say as that effect is very hard to find a sweet spot for (I know from plenty of experience) and even when you have, some will view it as overdone and others will see it as not enough. Know what I mean?

Any of the skaters you shoot good enough to get sponsored? If so working for them is a great step into a photography career. Hell, you could shoot skaters for life if you get in with a good pro skater soon enough. I'd definitely consider starting to do some video as well.

Thanks, man! The first one is my favorite skate picture (that i took myself).
The last one was taken in my third time using my camera in 2012, honestly, i didnt know anything about third rule/golden rule, and didnt know how to edit pictures in photoshop. If i remember right, this one has no editing at all (contrast, vibrance, saturation, etc).

I already have a good network of well known skaters and some event organizers/promoters here in my country. What i have in mind is to create a website and a facebook page covering some trips/events, getting a good amount of followers, and start doing some jobs to skate shops/skate brands in my region as a start...

Anyway, i appreciate everyone that commented here, and i knew that i would find some divergent opinions over here. I think that is a nice thing to have in a discussion board, as long as its health.
Thanks again everybody, i will probably post here as soon as i get my new equipment :D

Exactly.

I think once people jump on the negative train (myself included) it just kinda derails the entire thread.

If you're ever up in San Diego, hit me up! Tons of skating, longboards and short boards. Plus there's a big downhill race at Angie's (if you've heard of it) in a month or so that should be epic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed, not that negative feedback is a bad thing. As a matter of fact a negative critique is far more helpful than a positive one in most cases. It just needs to be informative rather than "It looks like crap" or "you don't know what you're doing". That way it gives room for improvement rather than coming off as a barrage of insults.

Most reactions

Back