help me choose!

stumpjumper21

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
should i save a little more for a d40, or buy a used d70? i cant decide, it will be my first good camera, and i am just getting into photography.

im 15 so dont go overboard with spec stuff, i just want to see which is a better deal

thanks

what makes it better? is the overall specs better or os it just a better deal?

The specs. They're roughly the same on the two but...

If anything the D40 will "get you overboard with spec stuff" because only certain lenses will autofocus on it and you have to pick out those certain ones.

Not so on the D70.

thats sounds like a pretty good reason...

anyone else have an opinion?

here's a search for "d40 d70" on this forum...

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/search.php?searchid=2192272

there are a few discussions of it on the first page like "Should I trade D40 for D70?" and "D40 vs. D70" that you could check out while waiting for any other responses.

djacobox372 said:
The D70 has a focusing motor, making compatiable with all af lenses, the d40 requires AFS lenses for autofocus, which are less common and more expensive.

The D70 has a more convienent button layout and requires less menu-digging to change common options.

The D40 has a MUCH larger screen

The D40 has a larger memory buffer, allowing it to take more pictures without a pause.

The D70's battery life is forever and a day, the d40 doesn't last as long--probably due to the larger screen.

D70 uses compact flash, the d40 uses sd

Picture quality is nearly identical.

[took out bit about prices for obvious reasons]

Overall they are both good cameras, I prefer the D70 due to it's size and button layout, and autofocus motor.

^^^ what they said. Yes to search. Yes to D70. No to D40.

cool. i am going to search now, but it appears that the d70 will be the winner of this. my friend goes to a photography shop in his area (i live in the middle of nowhere) i will have him see if they have any used d70's

thanks guys

I shoot with both for My yearbook, I have a D40 and the pictures from the D40 look way better.

D40 FTW!

By the way... try to get a D70S... not just a D70. Some very nice improvements over the straight D70. (don't ask me what they are... I forgot.) :)

so i should look for a d70s

is it true tht the image quality is better ion the d40? if so, how much? worth the sacrificing the built in AF?

i am oretty sure i am going to get the d70

okay, i found a d70s body for 280$ is that deal to good to be true? its on amazon

okay, i found a d70s body for 280$ is that deal to good to be true? its on amazon

Is it being sold direct from amazon or from a reseller or what? I'd suggest looking at http://keh.com for used cameras-- it comes with a warranty, and they are very conservative when it comes to rating the condition of the gear-- even bargain stuff is in great shape.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back