Help me decide - is this a strong enough subject?

Photog

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi guys, I was shooting in a forest/park last weekend and took these photos of some rowing boats. What do you think? Are they boring, or are they actually ok? Any other crits?

-1-
IMG_1713.jpg

-2-
IMG_1714.jpg

-3-
IMG_1715.jpg

-4-
IMG_1719b.jpg

I think they make a really good subject. I like #1 the best, I think the low angle helps the shot out a lot. I also like the way the arrangement of the boats pulls your eye from right to left, and the background is nice and interesting without being distracting. #2 is the next best, while I think the background in #3 and #4 is way too busy and distracting with all the boats crammed in together like they are.

Number 1 is my favorite...And it reminds me of the boat off of the note book! haha..only a girl would notice and say that..lol...great subject

I think there is a lot of potential here. I like the shots where the boats fill more of the frame. A higher angle of view would offer a lot. The big problem: boring lighting. You need to return to this spot and re-explore the subject at sunrise, sunset, in the rain, fog, winter, etc.... Bring a step stool or ladder.

I think there is a lot of potential here. I like the shots where the boats fill more of the frame. A higher angle of view would offer a lot. The big problem: boring lighting. You need to return to this spot and re-explore the subject at sunrise, sunset, in the rain, fog, winter, etc.... Bring a step stool or ladder.

I absolutely agree. So much potential here. I think #1 would be a winner if only the angle of view were higher up and the lighting were better.

There is a TON of potential there. I don't think you're quite getting it, but it's there.

Some thoughts...

- Get a polarizing filter if you can- it will have a big effect here. It will saturate the colors, blue up that sky, cut down on the glare. Can't help but win.
- Rust and decay can be great fun- get in close for some details and get 'em really sharp.
- Watch for harsh dropoff of light in the same frame- it will much up the pic pretty bad in most circumstances.
- Look for cool angles, interesting patterns and juxtapositions if you can find them.

Good luck!

Thanks a lot for your help everyone, you've given me some good ideas.

- Get a polarizing filter if you can- it will have a big effect here. It will saturate the colors, blue up that sky, cut down on the glare. Can't help but win.

Arrived in the post yesterday! Now just got to get out and give it a whirl!

I think there is a lot of potential here. I like the shots where the boats fill more of the frame. A higher angle of view would offer a lot.

I did think of this, and gave it a go, but didn't like the result, again the lighting really didn't help! Maybe I do need a step-ladder... Here's what I got:

IMG_1712.jpg

^^^ I actually take a ladder with me to a number of photography jobs. I at least toss in one of those 3 step step stools.

Theres a shot in that place somewhere.

I might try a portrait shot with the boats filling the left hand side and water or the dock on the right maybe. Might try and landscape with the same thing.

I might try a shot where the dock or whatever is on the bottom of the frame and leads into the boats.

I might try some closeups at odd angles... shooting looking almost straight down into one of them and such. Maybe some shots along the length of a rail.

I think you're going to want to boost the saturation in PP a bit as well, depending on how it comes out from the shot of course. Doing that is KINDA cheating, but there's a lot of red and yellow in the boats that isn't popping in your image.

Maybe a shot lying down on the dock.

Also try going at dusk or dawn to add some drama to the light... DONT go midday.

The problems I'm seeing are the boat interiors are interesting, but you have to get a high-up angle to see them... but doing that will likely give you too much boat. If you get the right zoom factor and the right subjects this could be cool, but you almost want that shot from a helicopter floating 20' above them to make it work... not sure if an angle will do it... and you may well need at LEAST a very tall ladder to pull that odd.

The boat repetition is interesting as well, but it feels like because they are all jumbled together it will be hard to see the repetition from the side, which is I think where you want to get it, but then you also lose the interest of the interior which kinda sucks.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back