HELP! MY PHOTOS ARE OUT OF FOCUS...AND I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO!

I only posted the picture of the 3 boys....don't know about the others. I'm set to JPG Large Fine...and setting the AF focal point while in use.
OH, crap - lol.

It looks like it's just scrolling through everyone's uploads...

I'll edit my post.

Welcome the The Photo Forum!

HELP! MY PHOTOS ARE OUT OF FOCUS...AND I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO!
Using all caps is generally considered poor netiquette and is considered the equivelent to shouting.

The most likely problem is that you don't know how to operate your camera and lens(s). Certainly it's possible the camera is not functioning properly, but that is not nearly as likely as user error.

Your D90 has 4 different focus modes and a couple of different focus area modes. Which modes are you using? Have you read your D90 Users Manual section that deals with focus? That section begins on page 54 of the D90 users manual. If you don't have a D90 Users Manual, you can download it a www.nikonusa.com.

...HELP!!! I want SHARP CLEAR images for my customers!!!
There's that shouting again!

People can only go by what you write, and you wrote this in the present tense, not the future tense.

TO THE REST OF YOU JERKS:
More shouting - :scratch:

IMO, you owe several people an apology, since it was your inability to communicate effectively that fomented their responses.

As intimated several time before: :addpics:

Last edited:
I'm shooting with a D90 equipped with either a 70-200mm 2.8 or a 50mm 1.8 depending on the subject. My images are coming out blurry EVERY SINGLE TIME. It's driving me nuts. I know that the focus point at 1.8-2.8 is tiny...so what f-stop should I use when doing general portraiture to get the desired blurry back ground as well as a larger focus point (when shooting groups or from a distance? HELP!!! I want SHARP CLEAR images for my customers!!!
How do you have customers
Edit: only read the first post sorry

... F/2.8 is awfully wide an aperture for "safe" portraiture...the depth of field band is just so narrow, that on a 3-person group the chances are high that one or two people will not be within the focus plane adequately well enough...

Derrel is spot on. Assuming a camera to subject distance of ~10' your total DoF is somewhere in the area of 15". That's about 7 1/2" in front and 7 1/2" to rear of the point of focus. In otherwords, very little room to work with. It's more than do-able with some experience, but I would strongly suggest becoming familiar with DoF measurements and getting your focus down using smaller apertures (larger F#s) and working your way up to the more challenging larger apertures.

...not a jerk, just someone baffled, yet again, at the blatant 'cart before the horse' sentiment.

worry less about 'customers' and more about fundamentals of photography. sheesh.

oh and welcome to the forums btw. ;)

Practice, practice, practice. I think one of the number one beginner mistakes comes with not understanding Depth of Field. When you shoot wide open, and you're fairly close to your subject, the area that will be in focus is EXTREMELY shallow. Also, with a 50mm 1.8 lens, you can still get beautiful bokeh and nice background separation if you back off and shoot around f/4, you gain a lot more clarity and more DOF without sacrificing a nice background.

Everyone can tell you what to do, but really, the only solution for you is to continue to shoot all the time until you learn how to use your camera and your lenses effectively. Google and bookmark a Depth of Field calculator (or if you have a smartphone, install a DOF calculator app on your phone so you always have one) and USE it. Your lenses have the capability of producing very clear, very sharp images, if you learn how to use them. :)

You guys are JERKS.

You guys are JERKS.

Just saw this after my last post... now i feel bad =(

Ok, for reals though, you need to post some pics so everybody can see what your talking about. It may even be something simple like your lens/sensor is dirty.

here is a pic to reinforce this whole thread

633607470680331650-trolls.jpg

Well, I looked at your photo. At first glance it seems like ISO1600, but indeed is 200 ISO, 1/1250, f/2.8.
If you look carefully at 100%, it seems like leaves in the very bottom part are more on focus than boys.

I'll be the first to :popcorn:

Send that 70-200 2.8 to me, I will properly dispose of it for you.

My real advice: Read what Derrel has posted, when you get done reading that- read it again... If your photos are still OOF, read it once more.

p!nK

Most reactions

Back