Help needed with shiny objects.

Agardner85

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello there. I am trying to take pictures on some clothing (Asian if that helps you picture it better) that are made out of some pretty shinny material. I have been trying different things and I can not seem to take good pictures of these articles of clothing.

I have a Cannon powershot G10 with 2x 500watt lights and a 100 watt light with a home made 15x15 cube light box

What I have tried so far:

Natural lighting out side
Natural lighting in the room
Light boxes on the lighting only
Uncovered lighting inside the light box
Placing the article on the floor and flooding it with light from above.

My problem is that the article of clothing has a very vibrate color to it and the lights will wash out certain parts of it making it look completely white from the shiny material it is made out of

Can any one help me with some tips or a web site that might have some steps that I have over looked or not thought of?

Thank you in advance for your help

Tried that as well, still had the same problem but with less severity.

Also I need to be able to have a consistent set so that I can get lots of pictures taken

Do you have a sample such as the photo you took with the subject to show us what the problem is?

If its reflection problems then the first thing I would try is a polarizer filter on the camera. That would cut down on the reflections and when rotated to the right position (experiment) you might find it helps you retain the colours you need

glare prooblem by ~Lear85 on deviantART

no matter what i do when what was mentioned above, i get about the same results

Overread's suggestion is the best. I can't imagine that you can attach a polarizer to a Powershot but you can easily hold it in front of the lens, It will be a minor difficulty rotating it to find the best position but, when you do, make a note of the position of the mark on the filter.

I am by no means a product shooting expert, but I would think you would want a little reflection like your sample to show the texture of the fabric? It looks pretty good to me....

I am by no means a product shooting expert, but I would think you would want a little reflection like your sample to show the texture of the fabric? It looks pretty good to me....

If Lyncca is correct (and she may well be), you can use a polarizer to control the amount of reflection.

Another here saying try polarization. Start out on the light side then progress it till you get what you want.

I'd like to see the results of using a polarizer for this.
My bet is it won't do anything because fabric distributes light differently than glass or water. Just like a CP won't do anything for reflections in metal. Just my logical guess.

I don't understand why you (OP) don't want to show that the product has sheen to it.

Try using a circular polarizer. I think it will fix your problem. I have had similar problems before and the circular polarizer really fixed the problem completely. You should mount your camera on a tripod as the filter will reduce the amount of light entering you camera.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back