Help, new to photography

Victoria

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm very very new to photography. Picked up some equipment today.

I have a 30D from canon and Sigma 24-60mm f2.8DG today.

So i plugs everything in, and trying to take a snapshot of my mug, and sure thing it all comes out blury. Any pointer on tutorial where i should start with basic to take photos?

My main focus on photo will be taking pictures of computer products like motherboard and PC cases in computer shows like comdex.

Thanks for the help in advanced :heart:

Wanna hear something sad? First time I put my lens on my picture came out blurry. Couldn't for the life of me figure out why...my husband came home and twisted the lens a little and there was this click and it worked. I just hadent turned the lens that extra lil bit so it could lock in ;)
Make sure your auto focus is turned on as well unless you want to use manual of course!

you're trying to take a picture of yourself?

It's really actually very hard...lol. The camera is pretty heavy to try and hold backwards, let it focus, and then click the shutter without shaking it...

Unless you have lots of light, you're gonna need a lot of luck.

Feel free to ask any other questions though...I'm glad to try and help, and everyone else is as well.

"blurry" can be a bunch of things, but it could be that your lens has a minimum focusing distance of about a foot and a half, and you didn't realise that while trying to take the pictures. (assuming you did everything else right). You didn't buy a close up lens, though you might want one for close up shots of electronics.

Just figure some stuff out, exposure was too low and it's now coming up better :p

I better read the manual of 30D more closely. I was recommended by a friend to get the 24-60mm for walkaround lens in expos, now if i do want a close up lens and telephoto, any recommendation for lens below $500 each?

Thanks guys, you are the best!

Hi Victoria, welcome to the forum.

First, you said that you were new to photography and not just the equipment so let's start with a couple of sites that you should read through (before you read your camera manual or at least along with)

1: http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials.htm

2: http://super.nova.org/DPR/

As to the lens question, You would do better by just using the lens you have for say 2 months (if you shoot a lot) and don't even think about another lens.

The reason for this is that after you are more experienced you will have a much better idea of what you really want.

enjoy!

mike

Just figure some stuff out, exposure was too low and it's now coming up better :p

I better read the manual of 30D more closely. I was recommended by a friend to get the 24-60mm for walkaround lens in expos, now if i do want a close up lens and telephoto, any recommendation for lens below $500 each?

Thanks guys, you are the best!

I figured since your new, your not going to want to spend alot of money on a lense but i think you'll be hapy with this:

http://www.wolfcamera.com/product/251666103.htm

its a 70-300mm telephoto lense by Quantaray, f/4-5.6 it even has a macro setting on it, although i believe the closest it can focus is 1 foot. but that would be fine with the extra zoom. i actually have one for my camera. The first aftermarket lense i ever bought. I think you'll be very pleased.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back