Help! NOOB needs help picking camera

krisinstl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi, I am upgrading from my little 6mp HP photosmart digital camera.

My options are, based on value + quality

Canon EOS 350D REBEL XT with 28-90mm lens, $300

AND a 90-300mm lens (both lenses and body) $375

Nikon D80, with 18-55mm lens.. $400

Which is the better deal, and which will give me better results/ease of use?

I am mostly going to be shooting nature, outdoor landscapes, animals, and maybe sports.. not really using it for portraits.

Alternatively, I have looked at a Sony DSC-H20 point and shoot, for $180
.. this is also an option, but I am drawn in by the options of a DSLR

thanks!

bump.. i know these are lower tier cameras from what you guys shoot.. but i'd really appreciate some guidance. Thanks!!

seriously guys.. its an easy question..

better camera, with 1 lens

not as good camera, 2 lenses

this isn't nikon vs cannon... the nikon is a higher end camera than the cannon, its only a rebel xt vs a nikon d80 not d40.. its just is that increase in value of d80 vs rebel xt WORTH only having 1 lens vs a 75-300mm lens for the canon

The D80 is the one I would rather have. I had a Rebel XT, which I recently gave to my niece and her new husband. I think the D80 is the better camera.

The D80 has the electronic shutter feature, right Derrel? I would love to have that feature. Super fast synch speeds when you get a flash. Definitely go with the D80. It also has an AF motor in the body so you can use a lot more lenses and have AF that are cheaper a lot of the time.

It depends on the condition, but if it's good then yea. The body sells for $400-$450 used.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back