Help on purchasing a Macbook

Shutterfly95

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Okay so I am headed off to college for photojournalism this year and after much thought, research, and suffering through Photoshop not working properly on my pc and then magically operating flawlessly on the macs at school, I have decided I really want a macbook.
However, I am trying to decide if it is worth it to up the cost of my macbook by purchasing the 15 inch versus the 13 inch and if the retina display really makes that much of a difference in photo-editing. If anyone has any other helpful tips, I'd love to hear those too!
Thanks!

I have an older i7 non-retina. If you plan to use your MBP for photo editing I would suggest not getting the glossy screen. It can be an absolute headache looking through the reflections.

Last edited:
I am headed off to college for photojournalism this year

Apple always does a back to school deal, its early in the summer so im sure they are not offering it quite yet.

As for the size that's ENTIRELY up to you. Its a personal choice of big a machine you want to carry around vs how much screen size you want.

Since you're probably going to get a discount, get the biggest, baddest one you can afford and wouldn't mind carrying around.

If not the largest screen size, be sure to get the largest memory and hard drive, as making changes afterward is costly.

Actually, getting the least memory and smallest HDD and upgrading afterwards is much, much cheaper when it comes to Mac.

I have been purchasing apple products for 10 years now.

Last edited:
I would for sure go with the 15inch screen. Especially if you edit any images on it. I couldn't imagine editing on a 13inch.

Most universities have discounted pricing for students. It's typically cheaper than amazon but not by a lot. The software prices are usually fantastic.

The best solution for photo editing is a large, external display. It does not need to be the Apple brand; look for an IPS display. That way, you can have portability and great photo editing. Also, macs now have USB 3, which is great for backup drives.

Actually, getting the least memory and smallest HDD and upgrading afterwards is much, much cheaper when it comes to Mac.

Problem is, if you get a retina display, you can't do that. Everything is soldered in there. You can still do it with the non-retina MBP's though.

So if you're considering a retina display, it really IS in your best interest to get the one you actually need/want.

just got a Macbook Pro 15

2012 i7 and love it

bumped up the ram to 16 gig and its a screamer

Problem is, if you get a retina display, you can't do that. Everything is soldered in there. You can still do it with the non-retina MBP's though.

So if you're considering a retina display, it really IS in your best interest to get the one you actually need/want.

Wow I had no clue. What a deal breaker.

I'm a big PC guy whose build multiple Windows computer in the past 10 year. There is something I really love about the Mac Book Pro line, and the retina display is delicious!

Personally I would go with the 13'' Retina i7 for photo editing. I agree 100 percent with Dinardy get the cheapest hdd and memory combo and up grade it later, the stock hdd and memory they use suck anyways.

I'm a big PC guy whose build multiple Windows computer in the past 10 year. There is something I really love about the Mac Book Pro line, and the retina display is delicious!

Personally I would go with the 13'' Retina i7 for photo editing. I agree 100 percent with Dinardy get the cheapest hdd and memory combo and up grade it later, the stock hdd and memory they use suck anyways.

Unfortunately it has been confirmed that the new retina models have RAM that is soldered into the logic board, I enjoy my 15 inch non-retina screen, although I can't edit photos anywhere with excess light as it will cause a reflection. I use a 24in IPS at home.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back