Help on speed boat racing photography

TwistedMarine

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Im new to sports photography. I familiar with all aspects of my camera that i am aware of. I shoot only in Raw and on manual. Sometimes i use Shutter priority or aperture priority. I have taken moon shots, nature/animal photography, weddings ect.

A friend has hired me to go to The 3rd annual event for the us title series for boat racing. . They understood this is my first time in sports photography so we made a deal. He pays for my hotel all weekend and price of meals and I learn something new. Works out for the best of us.

Im using a Nikon D3000. For this event ill be using a TAMRON AF 70-300MM 1:4-5.6 Tele Macro (1:2) Lens. I know for boat racing i dont wanna use to much of a fast shutter speed becuase i want some blur for the water and to show motion. I can tweak that as im taking pictures.. Its going to be a Bight sunny day according to Florida's weather channel ( lol ). I was wondering if anyone can help me with a General idea of a few things

1- A Base Shutter Speed ( i can adjust it as im taking pictures to go for the look im looking for)
2- Iso ( should i use 100 or a higher iso for the shutter speed i want)
3- F-Stop
4- Focus mode im going to use a Continues unless someone else has a suggestion
5- Focus Area Mode - (should i use centered since most of my pictures are gonna be of boats in the center of my screen?)
6- Metering - Not sure about this. Should i use the whole screen? pin point or centered

The ideal technique for getting the motion blur is panning, which can take a long while to master. I'd recommend getting some practice first (your local freeway should do for practice). Don't forget to pan through the whole exposure and continue after the shot. Shutter speed will depend on focal length & how good your panning is, but try 1/250 to start with then reduce.

Take some shots at the highest practical shutter speeds too, catching the spray sharply in the air also works well. (Especially important if you haven't much practice at panning)

I generally find center point focus works best, in bright sunshine centered metering might also be wise you want the boat exposed right, blown hightlights in the water would be better than underexposing the boat IMO.

Take some ND filters, I didn't need them for the UK but it keeps your options open, and you'll have much more light.

Im new to sports photography. I familiar with all aspects of my camera that i am aware of. I shoot only in Raw and on manual. Sometimes i use Shutter priority or aperture priority. I have taken moon shots, nature/animal photography, weddings ect.

A friend has hired me to go to The 3rd annual event for the us title series for boat racing. . They understood this is my first time in sports photography so we made a deal. He pays for my hotel all weekend and price of meals and I learn something new. Works out for the best of us.

Im using a Nikon D3000. For this event ill be using a TAMRON AF 70-300MM 1:4-5.6 Tele Macro (1:2) Lens. I know for boat racing i dont wanna use to much of a fast shutter speed becuase i want some blur for the water and to show motion. I can tweak that as im taking pictures.. Its going to be a Bight sunny day according to Florida's weather channel ( lol ). I was wondering if anyone can help me with a General idea of a few things

1- A Base Shutter Speed ( i can adjust it as im taking pictures to go for the look im looking for)
2- Iso ( should i use 100 or a higher iso for the shutter speed i want)
3- F-Stop
4- Focus mode im going to use a Continues unless someone else has a suggestion
5- Focus Area Mode - (should i use centered since most of my pictures are gonna be of boats in the center of my screen?)
6- Metering - Not sure about this. Should i use the whole screen? pin point or centered

Depends on what you mean by speed boat racing and what effects you want. My recent post is ...

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...-gallery/357797-corner-power-boat-racing.html

So I head mainly for a corner for the turns, that's where the white water and rooster tails are. I use only manual focus so I can't help with any AF lenses. Slow shutter speeds don't give me the water effects I like. Shooting side on you can use slower shutter speeds for what you like, be warned though, tracking and blurring the backgrounds with slower shutter speeds is an art form ;) It can be hit and miss. So you want slower speeds and I'm the dead opposite :) main setting I use are 1/2000 - 1/4000, ISO 100 - 400 and the lenses are used wide open at either F/2.8 F/4.5 or F/5.6. Metering, spot is a preference.

Another thread in here I enjoyed reading on slower shutter speeds while panning is this one, have a good read with a coffee ......

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...lery/344457-motorsport-panning-ss-motion.html

The drivers like to see themselves in shots and so do sponsors, franchise, corporates, etc. So a few close up shots, profiles, etc is always a bonus. 300mm to 500mm are good focal lengths I find generally, but also shoot with wider around 18-55mm. Also a 100-300mm is handy, so you should be all right. Off shore hydro's I throw the 800mm on the tripod. I prefer a slow burst and not a fast burst in FPS, so 4 FPS works fine for me, sometimes 10 FPS, but not often.

The closer they are, the faster they are, so be prepared to shoot wide and if necessary, crop in after in PP.

More here if you are interested and watch the light, if you can feel the sun on your neck, you are pointing in the right direction.

Power boat racing coverage. North and south island

All the best and good luck with it, practise as much as you can before hand.

Danny.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back