What's new

Waterfall shots - from a boat

phkc070408

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jan 4, 2015
Messages
50
Reaction score
6
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Going to see some waterfalls over the summer, however they are only viewable from a boat. While I'll have my tripod, the boat will be swaying slightly as the water is not still.

If it's even possible, what's the best way to get that timed exposure showing the smooth water?

The only thing I can think of is to use a lens with VC and take the shutter no slower than the 4 or 5 stops that the lens can tolerate, and keep the zoom wide open.

If anyone can think of anything else, let me know.

Note - I have an R5 Mark II
 
I believe you will need a gimbal to keep the camera locked on. Unless the water is very, very calm.

Late in the day the water is calmer, but will need a longer exposure.
 
Let me look this up. I've never used one of these before. Will report back later on.
 
I think I'm going to try one. Thanks
 
Yeah, lens stabilization is not going to handle that. Good luck with your efforts!
 
Bumping this up. wfooshee - are you saying that you don't think a Gimble will work?
 
No, I was talking about a lens's built-in image stabilization. A boat rocking is way beyond what that can accomodate, and you don't want in-camera or in-lens stabilization to be active in a long-exposure shot anyway.
 
Ok. I’ll try a Gimbal. I just ordered the RS5. Thanks
 
I’m honestly not sure how successful I’m going to be. I need to find a place to practice this. Also, since I’ll be on a boat with others, I’m not sure how much time I’ll have.

I’m “renting” an RS4 Pro from Amazon now. Hopefully I get a chance to really try it out this weekend. Going to buy the RS5 Pro when if comes out.
 
OK all, I bought an RS5 from DJI. Honestly, it doesn't do anything for my regular photography and videography. Outside of this one shoot, I'll probably never use it again. Also, I didn't mention this earlier, but I'm going to be taking this picture while on vacation and would rather not carry the gimbal around for one set of photos.

So, back to the original question -
I'm going to see some waterfalls over the summer, however they are only viewable from a boat. While I'll have my tripod, the boat will be swaying slightly as the water is not still.

If it's even possible, what's the best way to get that timed exposure showing the smooth water?

I have an R5 Mark ii.
 
I wouldn't go below 1/4 second and accept what you get. Use a tripod and wait for the boat to be as steady as possible. Also shoot some shots at faster speeds so if the first one doesn't work, at least you have a record shot of the falls.
 
A gimbal will help but it won't allow for a much longer of a shutter speed since it's only 3 axis and you will need four.
The gimbal will provide tilt (front to back), rotation (side to side) and rotational (around the vertical axis) stability. It won't provide vertical stabilization to compensate for the up and down motion which would be one of the major axis problems on a boat.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom