What's new

Waterfall shots - from a boat

Just an update to this, I'm not going to take a gimbal with me. I;m bringing enough camera equipment with me as it is. I also practiced using a gimbal with my primary photography and even tried some videography, and it doesn't serve me any good for that.

Spending $1k for a device I will use once or twice and might not even get me a good shot with is not an option for me.
 
It depends on the size of the falls & the size of the boat.
A long exposure might be practical if it was similar to the falls I saw on Milford sound where I shot the attached (the falls apparently being much smaller than usual that year).
milford sound 1.webp


When I visited Niagara on the Maid of the Mist, I think a long exposure would have been quite impractical. Though short exposures still gave some impressive shots.
If I recall right the boat in New Zealand was around twice the size of the Maid of the Mist.

I rather suspect any rolling/bobbing of a boat would involve movements much too big for either stabilization or a gimbal to handle. If you have good sea legs you might be able to reduce these movements enough for those systems to allow moderately long exposures.
 
We'll find out when I get there. Trip is in August - to Nuuk and Ilulisset Greenland.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom