Help! Problem with new autocord

Autocord6x6

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi,
I’ve been trying to test out my newly acquired Minolta autocord and have run into a maybe major problem and am really unsure what the problem is.

basically, I go to take a photo: compose, focus, click the shutter. Because the noise is different to other cameras I’ve used I think there’s something wrong and try to press again but it doesn’t fire (obviously). Then I go to wind on the frame but the lever WILL NOT BUDGE! it just won’t move at all.
I start thinking something’s wrong.
Then I stupidly change the speed and try again...same issue.
It will not move on. It’s stuck at 1.
After googling I learnt that trying to change the speed while shutter is cocked messes up the camera badly but that’s all i can find out.

can anyone help me? So disappointed and think I may have wrecked the camera after just getting it.

after opening up the back, can see that the taking lens is not open.

So the first time you pressed the shutter button you heard the shutter fire ... or maybe it did not ?

Is the winding arm stuck in the upper position (12 oclock) ?
If so, then the shutter release has not completed.

Does the shutter button depress fully ?
Make sure the release collar is not in the locked position.

Last edited:
Hmm, I just pulled out my Autocord to checkout the normal action to help the OP ... and I just realized I had an uncompleted roll of Ilford Delta 100 in it ... now I have to develop it ... hmm, do I think my liquid chemicals have been sitting in the bottles for about 5 years.

Thanks for the replies.
The lever is still in the 12 position.
The shutter button is not locked. The taking lens is closed.
I’m not sure if the taking lens is jammed or something which would be why the lever will not move?

I followed the manual instructions carefully when setting up the camera etc.

All the other levers are working fine: speed, f/stop, focus, etc.

when I first went to take the photo, I pressed the shutter and the self timer went off - could this be where I went wrong?
That’s why I thought the sound was odd. Later realised the sound was the self timer and not the shutter.

not sure how to resolve this issue.

I thought perhaps I did something when loading the film and so removed the new roll of film (doh) and put in a new one. But because the lever is not moving, I can’t wind on the film....

Some autocords have a ring that surrounds the shutter release button. Turning it locks the shutter release so it won't fire. Rotating it the other way unlocks it. Have you tried that?

You might also try moving the synchronizer lever to different positions (M,F,X).

So, you heard the self timer gears working away ... then no sound of the shutter ... sounds like the self timer did not complete, which means something has fouled/slowed up the gears ... you should try to help the self timer by pushing it's lever upward.

Last edited:
So, you heard the self timer gears working away ... then no sound of the shutter ... sounds like the self timer did not complete, which means something has fouled/slowed up the gears ... you should try to help the self timer by pushing it's lever upward.
Hi, Yes I've tried that also.

Some autocords have a ring that surrounds the shutter release button. Turning it locks the shutter release so it won't fire. Rotating it the other way unlocks it. Have you tried that?

You might also try moving the synchronizer lever to different positions (M,F,X).
Hi, I tried that.
When I press the crank reversing button in, I can wind the lever counter-clockwise like you would for a double exposure, however when I go to click the shutter button, I watch the lens and it doesn't open up at all.
Could it be there's an issue with the lens?

Thought something like that may be the issue after more research/looking at the camera.
Thanks for the reply

Most reactions

New Topics

Back