Help!!!! Re; Pentax Warranty

Dragoness

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Help please. I am sooo upset. I got my new pentax K100D in the mail 2 days ago on the 14th from Bh Photo. I have taken approx 540 photos with the camera, and maybe 1/2 of those used the flash. Today while taking pics the flash went out! Now auto doesn't work, only manual... and ofcourse my house is really dark... so no pics. HUbby and I tried everything to troubleshoot and the flash is indeed out.
I attached my external (hotshoe) flash and it works just fine and auto works fine with the external flash hooked up.

So this is going to be a warranty issue. So has anyone delt with Pentax Warranty before?
Can I have them ship me a new camera using my credit card as "collateral" and then ship them back the defective camera when I get the working one? The reason is I just signed up for a class, its non-refunable and I need a working camera now. I can use this camera with the external flash until the new camera arrives, but if I have to send it back first (and wait weeks for replacment) then I am SOL on my class, not to mention without a camera for weeks while I just shelled out 600.00 for this thing!

PLease tell me they aren't going to make me send this one back for repairs, i can't wait forever to have my BRAND NEW camera working.

Did the flash not working happen to coincide with using the external flash? If I remember correctly you mentioned using an old flash, and I'm thinking it may be the result of excessive voltage from said flash.

It's brand new. If you bought it from a store then take it back and ask for a replacement. If you bought it online still ask for a replacement. This is how I resolved a problem I had a while back - I never had to talk to the manufacturer at all; the retailer simply gave me a replacement. Of course not all retailers value customer service that highly; if they will not replace it then I would contact Pentax and explain that you need a working camera urgently and ask if they can replace it.

the 1 time I had a problem with the sensor on an ist DL I sent them the camera and it came back weeks later with a new sensor. they didnt send me a new one.

If in fact you did use an older flash it is very possible you over charged the hot shoe connection. I wouldn't mention this when you bring it to the store/call wherever you bought it from, because I am pretty sure the manual says that only the FGZ (360 and 540) series is made for these digital cameras. If the store doesn't care much about customer service it will certainly try to void the warrenty you have because of this.

Aside from the long time not having my camera, Pentax's customer support is very good IMO.

Oh no, I was not using the external flash at all when this happened. I used it afterward, not before. I will leave the info out anyway though.

Most reactions

Back