HELP! (Removing Lens Flare)

JMak

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I went out the other day and captured a few shots but I noticed a few pictures with lens flare so since I am new to photography i would appreciate if I get some help with removing them :) Thanks

Flare can be one of the hardest artifacts to remove in post. Not impossiblle, but often times - or at least not practical. It is nearly always better to avoid it in the first place using an appropriate hood - like your hand.

TIP: Avoid shooting directly to the sun.

I went out the other day and captured a few shots but I noticed a few pictures with lens flare so since I am new to photography i would appreciate if I get some help with removing them :) Thanks
What image editing software do you have available to use to edit the photos?

If you have a filter on the lens.. remove it. Many filters (even the highest quality multi-coated ones) will add CA and flare sometimes. Removing the filter will often fix the problem.

^^ I have always been a bit skeptical of how much a filter actually would effect image quality, but I rarely used filter and when I did while I was shooting film I usually used the "high end ones" just because I could afford it more back then.

I have a Canon 35/2 Concave which I wasn't happy with the performance, it was supposed to be a really excellent lens, but i was getting all sorts of artifacts. After reading this, I took off the cheap, uncoated and old hoya filter that was probably bought in the early 1970's with the lens, still skeptical, I was very surprised how much an effect it actually had. I pulled the glass out because without the filter's ring I can't fit the retaining screw-type hood I have for it, and was also surprised how thick the glass was.

Overall contrast is much, MUCH better now. I still think the infinity-corrected adapter holds the lens back some areas, but it is working much better in others.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back