Help removing shadow

xfloggingkylex

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey, tonight I went out with my brother to shoot our cars, and I really like this one except there wasn't a way to get the shadow out of the picture (my tripod wouldn't go any lower so I couldn't just move it down, also didnt want to change the POV too much). I was wondering if the photoshop experts can lend me a hand here. I use GIMP because I can't afford PS at all.

Helpwithshadow.jpg

Also any other critiques about the picture would be great, but Im mainly looking for ways to remove that shadow without looking unnatural.

Thanks in advance.

I might move this specific question to the Photoshop Challenges, a sub-forum of the Photo Themes, there you might more easily find someone who takes you up on your challenge to remove the shadow? What do you say? I move this?

you could try taking the camera off the tripod and either set it on a smaller object like a small box or on the ground or you could lie down to take the shot you prob would still have same pov.or you could take the shot at same angle from the other side of the car or wait until daylight.its a nice shoot(cool car btw)but i would try cropping the left hand side out of it,is it an eclipse?

if you have photoshop you can clone over the shadow with the part that isn't in the shadow. I tried for a few minutes last night and it looks fine.

Hi "xfloggingkylex" had a go for you, though the shadow didn't disturb me too much. I wouldn't have lowered the angle even if you could as the angle looks good. I have:
[A] Cloned the ground into the heavy shadow and softened it.
Removed the "footy" posts and the white bit in the rear side window [cloned]
[C] Lightened the sky to emphasise the colour. lassoo tool and feather.
[D] lightened and added contrast to the rear wheel using the elliptical marqee tool. Trust this helps

Helpwithshadow-1.jpg

www.philipweirphotography.com

LaFoto said:
I might move this specific question to the Photoshop Challenges, a sub-forum of the Photo Themes, there you might more easily find someone who takes you up on your challenge to remove the shadow? What do you say? I move this?

thats completely up to you, my PS techniques are very limited and I actually find it pretty hard to do some of the things people talk about (since I dont have PS at all). I was mainly looking for a way to make it more appealing. Some members have already suggested cloning (which I'm also not very good at). Philip you do some awesome work. I really like the lighter sky and actually this was the last picture I took of my car in the first set. I started as the sun was down but the soft light was still in the sky, and this last one was pretty much dark. I came back later with my brother for another round.

All of my cloning ends up looking, well, cloned and not natural; any way to solve this?

Chris, it isn't an eclipse but actually a Hyundai Tiburon. The first shot I took at this angle looked pretty good but it had my goofy head in the picture (shadow). Thats the problem taking pictures with surrounding lights, I was also having a terrible time with flare shooting my brothers car.

Thanks again for the advice everyone. Hopefully the next time I post a shot I'll have made some more progress.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back