HELP- Screen went BLACK...So did photos.

sj022698

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the right category so if not, I apologize and to any mod, feel free to move to the appropriate section.

I have a Canon Rebel DS6041 which I believe is the same as the 300d.

Anyway, I've never had any issues with it until yesterday...I was taking photos and it was working properly and then I looked down and the lcd display would just have a black screen displayed. Pulled the memory card out and transferred to the computer. The first dozen or so were fine but then the remainder were completely black. Pulled the battery...After doing some quick searches, it looked like the symptoms resemble a bad CCD. Would you agree?

I also tried setting it to TV mode and dropping it down to a slow shutter speed to see if that would fix it but nothing. Any other suggestions?

I appreciate the help!

By the way, I can view all the menus on the LCD fine. I've also formatted the memory card and tried a different card.

Could this be a shutter problem? Would a good cleaning help. Honestly, I've had this camera since like 2003 and it's never been cleaned. I don't even know how to clean it.

It could be a stuck mirror. If you can see through the viewfinder, but nothing's getting to the sensor, that might be it. Take another picture with a slow shutter speed- see if the viewfinder goes black as you press the shutter button. If it doesn't, the mirror is not moving.

It could be a stuck mirror. If you can see through the viewfinder, but nothing's getting to the sensor, that might be it. Take another picture with a slow shutter speed- see if the viewfinder goes black as you press the shutter button. If it doesn't, the mirror is not moving.

Just did as advised and the viewfinder went black. What should I try next?

What are the other common problems for the symptoms? Would it be either the shutter or CCD? Is there a way to test either?

I'd say your sensor is goneburgers. Probably you should start saving for a new camera.

I'd say your sensor is goneburgers. Probably you should start saving for a new camera.

Any way to determine it for sure? I'd hate to just discard it without really being sure? What's the typical price to fix this issue? Could it simply be something from the lack of cleaning?

Can you set the shutter speed to 3 to 5 seconds. And then look inside the camera through the lens mount (no lens is mounted). Press the shutter button and see if you are able to see the sensor.

Can you set the shutter speed to 3 to 5 seconds. And then look inside the camera through the lens mount (no lens is mounted). Press the shutter button and see if you are able to see the sensor.

I apologize but can you dumb it down for me. I'm not much of a photographer.

#1-When I set the shutter to 3-5 seconds, what should I be on? Should it be like the TV setting or similar?
#2- If so, What number should I scroll to?
#3- Should I do it in a somewhat dim room?
#4- Lastly, what does the sensor look like and with it produce any colors?

I apologize but can you dumb it down for me. I'm not much of a photographer.

#1-When I set the shutter to 3-5 seconds, what should I be on? Should it be like the TV setting or similar?
#2- If so, What number should I scroll to?
#3- Should I do it in a somewhat dim room?
#4- Lastly, what does the sensor look like and with it produce any colors?

#1 Tv mode, time enough for you to see if mirror and curtains move away to expose the sensor.
#2 If you can see it in 3 seconds, then set to 3 seconds.
#3 Enough light for you to see.
#4 Look here
http://www.infoborder.com/Digital_Camera_review/Canon/sensor.jpg

Ok, I apologize for the amount of photos but was thinking that there might be something in a picture that stands out but since I don't know anything about this stuff that it might mean something. Here is what it looks like when I simply pull off the lens.

Camera002.jpg

Camera004.jpg

Camera006.jpg

Camera007.jpg

Camera010.jpg

Camera011.jpg

Here is when I press the shutter button on TV mode set at 15"
Camera013.jpg

Camera015.jpg

Camera016.jpg

Camera018.jpg

Does anything stand out to anyone???

Did I let the shutter stay closed too long? Setting it on 30", 15", etc... on TV?

On the last few, the shutter isnt open. That might be part of the reason your photos are turning black... :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back