HELP- Screen went BLACK...So did photos.

So, what does this mean?

It started like the beginning photos and those 2nd set of photos I took was in a dim setting and it sat like that for probably 30 seconds and then finished the photo...Did I do it right?

I think you did it right since the camera is in Tv mode and you set it at 15 seconds. So, in normal case, you should be able to see the sensor for 15 seconds. However, all you see is the shutter curtain. So looks like the shutter curtain is stuck.

Not sure how to fix it ....

You need to have it looked at by a professional, not an internet forum.

Well I'm definitely going to do so. Just trying to gain as much info as possible before I do so.

Well I just spoke to a guy here in St. Louis...He said if it's a stuck shutter, he would charge $250 P&L but it's not to say that there isn't something causing that...If it's the CCD, it has to go to canon which is a flat rate of $260 for that model.

In conclusion, I can pick up this same camera used for about $140-$150 many times with lenses, etc...

Guess this will be sold for parts...ugh

By any chance, is there any way to unstick the shutter?

Well I just spoke to a guy here in St. Louis...He said if it's a stuck shutter, he would charge $250 P&L but it's not to say that there isn't something causing that...If it's the CCD, it has to go to canon which is a flat rate of $260 for that model.

In conclusion, I can pick up this same camera used for about $140-$150 many times with lenses, etc...

Guess this will be sold for parts...ugh

By any chance, is there any way to unstick the shutter?

Hell, if it's trash there's no harm in thumping it against a desk to see if the shutter unsticks.

I apologize as I don't see how it's a stuck shutter. The reason I say that is if I take just a normal photo the black part covers the sensor just briefly...Isn't it at some point supposed go up like that?

I think I might have confused everyone when I posted the pics with the shutter closed…I first posted what I would see when I take off the lens. The 2nd set of photos is when I set it to take a long time on the shutter speed and I just took a picture of that.

***It does open back up***

For example, if I just set it on a normal setting and press the shutter, the curtain closes and opens quickly. Isn’t that what it’s supposed to do???
I’m sorry as I’m not really familiar with how it all operates and the terminology.

Also, since it's broke already, besides thumping it on something which I don't mind doing, wouldn't just reaching in and unsticking it work better? If I have the lens off, can't I touch it?

Last edited:
Set it to sensor cleaning mode, and see if the shutter opens
I'll have to go back to my manual on this as I couldn't find it in there or on my menu. I just figured the 300d didn't offer this feature. Just found it, I'll try when I get home. Thanks!

Also, the 300D is a CMOS, NOT CCD...Does this matter???

Last edited:
This is what your SLR camera should look like. Not the same, but close. See after the mirror flip up, a shutter curtain open up the windows to expose the sensor/film follow the 2nd curtain close the window.

Last edited by a moderator:
Doa.

Thank you very much...Ironically, I JUST watched that same one on YouTube...I'll have to look closer when I get home. I think I understand a little more now.

So when I get home, I'm going to first clean the sensor

Secondly, in that video, the mirror rises and the shutter curtain falls backwards, correct? Couldn't I just poke that shutter lightly to unjam it if the cleaning doesn't work?

Does the fact that this is a CMOS and not a CCD make any difference?

Also wanted to thank everyone for all the help and how kind everyone is.

Do you know you maybe able to trade in your defective 300d for a refurbished 50D for $629 (body) or $759 (kit)?

You can call [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Canon technical support at 866-443-8002 or 800-828-4040 and the program is Canon loyalty program.
[/FONT]

So when I get home, I'm going to first clean the sensor

Secondly, in that video, the mirror rises and the shutter curtain falls backwards, correct? Couldn't I just poke that shutter lightly to unjam it if the cleaning doesn't work?

Does the fact that this is a CMOS and not a CCD make any difference?

Also wanted to thank everyone for all the help and how kind everyone is.

Never, never, never, never, never, never, touch the shutter, and especially...

Never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, poke the shutter, you will break it. They don't fall back they drop down, and reset (move up) when the mirror drops back down.

CCD/CMOS doesn't matter, cleaning the sensor won't help, running it though sensor cleaning mode may help unstick/reset the shutter though. EDIT: If you can't physically see the sensor, one or both of you shutter curtains is not opening. If you can see the sensor, then odds are your shutter is fine, but try shooting to see if this reset/realigned the shutter.

If its worse than the shutter, buy another off craigslist or ebay, that model is cheap enough, or better yet get a sturdier model either a single or double digit D.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back