HELP! Shooting my first wedding in May

ok, I am not going to lie, the 70-200 2.8 is an amazing lens, and is really nice for portraits etc. However, if I were going to choose a lens, the most important one to have would probably be an 17-55 2.8 (or whatever it is that Nikon has in that range). For weddings, particularly if it is indoors I think you'll find more use for that faster lens.

Again, as big mike said though, you want to have back ups for everything. So, you want a backup lens (maybe what you have right now, plus a fast zoom) a backup body (beg, borrow, or rent another one just in case). a backup flash...

I do have a hot shoe, and a yellow lead to go from the camera to the lights, but I dont have any off the camera lights at all, I was just hoping that the tungsten setting on my camera could help, and adjusting the WB
OK, now I'm confused. What lights are you talking about now?

Do you have something like THIS?

Local store rents them out for $50 (CAD) for a weekend
I wish someone here done that! :thumbup:

OK, now I'm confused. What lights are you talking about now?

Do you have something like THIS?

I have something like that

Hama | Hot Shoe Adapter 2 - Hot Shoe with PC (Male) | HA-6952

ok, I am not going to lie, the 70-200 2.8 is an amazing lens, and is really nice for portraits etc. However, if I were going to choose a lens, the most important one to have would probably be an 17-55 2.8 (or whatever it is that Nikon has in that range). For weddings, particularly if it is indoors I think you'll find more use for that faster lens.

Again, as big mike said though, you want to have back ups for everything. So, you want a backup lens (maybe what you have right now, plus a fast zoom) a backup body (beg, borrow, or rent another one just in case). a backup flash...

I need to get some equipment fast! lol I dont think anywhere near where I stay rents stuff out at all

Flash bouncing : http://www.planetneil.com/tangents/flash-photography-techniques/4-bouncing-flash/

In its very basic description, bouncing the flash means that instead of pointing the flash straight on to someone (like your camera mounted flash), you aim / angle the flash head to point off a surface for it to bounce its light onto the subject.

Point it to the right to bounce off a wall will shed more light on the subjects left side.

Be careful of the colour of the wall, as this can create a colour cast.

Many photographers like to point their flashes at 45 degrees up to bounce of the ceiling (depending on height). This can be good, but its very dependant on the situation,

my camera just has a pop up flash, it doesn go any other way than straight ahead

OK, it's more clear now.

Keep the lens you have. It's going to be a small venue so much more would be over kill and unused. The thing you need the most at this point is an Sb600 (the 800 would be nice but is more expensive). You'll want the flash pointed straight up and need to have watched the better bounce card video ( [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNCmuExlHvM"]YouTube - A Better Bounce Card for your camera - Peter Gregg[/ame]) and go here after Flash Diffuser [Page 3]: Nikon D300 - D100 Forum: Digital Photography Review.

Of course if you went to planed neil you've already read this http://www.planetneil.com/tangents/2009/02/25/light-modifiers/

Just let everybody know ahead of time that you'll be using flash. I find it unlikely given the circumstance that anyone would mind. If they do, have them talk to the bride. ;)

If you use the flash well, have plenty of batteries for it and practice the shots you are sure you'll want and to take you should get through fine. Just remember to not get too creative until you've got you "money" shots in the bank.

Do look around for shots you'll want to take and Plan Ahead!

Good shooting

mike

You can get the Maid of Honor to be your assistant for most things and the Best Man for heavy lifting. Just corner them ahead of time so they'll know what to expect.

Have a sit down discussion with the bride and groom to discuss expectations. Get a list of the must have shots that they want (them with their parents, with certain friends,...) and make sure you bring this list with you on the day.

Do you have any friends who are into photography you can bring along as an assistant / second shooter for the day? Preferably one with the same camera brand and nice lenses :)

...most amature photographers I know wont shoot a wedding coz it's too stressfull!

Not only that... the results are usually far from what the bride sincerely deserves. This is not about you, it is about the bride and what she deserves.

I was not kidding about weddings being demanding and likely if you knew, you would be having those same thoughts and major doubts.

That said... your homework is cut out for you.

Step 1. First... if your understanding of photography basics is not strong, there is NOTHING that you read that will help you out. If you are not as comfotable with ISO, shutter speed, aperture and white balance as you are when walking, breathing and chewing gum, your results will not be anything close to good. Step 1, master the basics.

Step 2, know what to expect. That means googling wedding photography and reading, reading, reading... then practicing what you read over and over and over. 10,000 FOCUSED practice pictures would be what I consider the bare minimum.

Step 3, know the location and practice there. That means knowing what the challenges are at this location. Where are the good places, where are the places to avoid.

Step 4, equipment. Are you allowed to use flash? When? Where? Will you need to rent or purchase 1 or more fast lenses?

Step 5... go to step 1. Planning and practice are 99% of the equation.

OK, it's more clear now.

Keep the lens you have. It's going to be a small venue so much more would be over kill and unused. The thing you need the most at this point is an Sb600 (the 800 would be nice but is more expensive). You'll want the flash pointed straight up and need to have watched the better bounce card video ( YouTube - A Better Bounce Card for your camera - Peter Gregg) and go here after Flash Diffuser [Page 3]: Nikon D300 - D100 Forum: Digital Photography Review.

Of course if you went to planed neil you've already read this http://www.planetneil.com/tangents/2009/02/25/light-modifiers/

Just let everybody know ahead of time that you'll be using flash. I find it unlikely given the circumstance that anyone would mind. If they do, have them talk to the bride. ;)

If you use the flash well, have plenty of batteries for it and practice the shots you are sure you'll want and to take you should get through fine. Just remember to not get too creative until you've got you "money" shots in the bank.

Do look around for shots you'll want to take and Plan Ahead!

Good shooting

mike

You can get the Maid of Honor to be your assistant for most things and the Best Man for heavy lifting. Just corner them ahead of time so they'll know what to expect.

ah the flash sounds good, but I dont have a spare £200 to buy one! :(

Have a sit down discussion with the bride and groom to discuss expectations. Get a list of the must have shots that they want (them with their parents, with certain friends,...) and make sure you bring this list with you on the day.

Do you have any friends who are into photography you can bring along as an assistant / second shooter for the day? Preferably one with the same camera brand and nice lenses :)

I do have friends that are into photography, but not ones that'd be willing to shoot a wedding with me :(

I'll go over all the shots they want with them next month :thumbup:

Not only that... the results are usually far from what the bride sincerely deserves. This is not about you, it is about the bride and what she deserves.

I was not kidding about weddings being demanding and likely if you knew, you would be having those same thoughts and major doubts.

That said... your homework is cut out for you.

Step 1. First... if your understanding of photography basics is not strong, there is NOTHING that you read that will help you out. If you are not as comfotable with ISO, shutter speed, aperture and white balance as you are when walking, breathing and chewing gum, your results will not be anything close to good. Step 1, master the basics.

Step 2, know what to expect. That means googling wedding photography and reading, reading, reading... then practicing what you read over and over and over. 10,000 FOCUSED practice pictures would be what I consider the bare minimum.

Step 3, know the location and practice there. That means knowing what the challenges are at this location. Where are the good places, where are the places to avoid.

Step 4, equipment. Are you allowed to use flash? When? Where? Will you need to rent or purchase 1 or more fast lenses?

Step 5... go to step 1. Planning and practice are 99% of the equation.

The bride already told me that she wanted me to take the photos, she is familiar with my work.

I done a photography course, we had aperture, ISO, WB etc drummed into me. I'm not gonna forget them.

My tutor was also a wedding photographer, he's told me all about how he shoots weddings, how many photo's he takes, how many he gives the couple to keep etc. I also wanted to be a wedding photographer, so I have already done all my 'homework' on this kinda thing, I know it's gonna be demanding, but worth it in the end to see how happy they are

the location is my local registry office, I've been in loads, and once when there was a wedding on (a school techer, never been so embarrassed!) the photographer did use a flash.

thanks tho, I see where you're coming from. I will recomend a wedding photographer to them, but if they still want me then I'm up for the challenge!

MrsMoo, you said that your instructor was a wedding photographer?

Why not ask if you can tag along on one of his gigs? You'd learn much faster that way. You can also see if you can borrow a flash from someone, just make sure that the trigger voltage is under 250Vs and if it's not an Sb600/800 make sure it has manual settings (point it straight up and shoot),and then brush up on guide numbers and guessing distances. (people did it for years- it's not that hard ;))

You dont need the latest flash and certainly not 70-200 F anything lens, most nikon flash guns will work but only full manual.

Scotland, Edinburgh, has calumet, where you can hire oddles of nikon gear if you need it, even a local camera shop could help you out.

My thoughts on this are that you are not ready at all to provide this service but you probably can do a reasonable job with what you have, it'll be better than the P&S brigade at any rate.

My advice is to invest in a flashgun, nikon dedicated at least, jessops own brand will do, 50 - 80 quid, go to the venues at the same time of day and work out your shots on a mate, see what you get, if you reckon they're the best you can do then do it again on the day with the real people, have fun, entertain them and catch what you can, forget fast glass but get the flash and practise with it till you know you can deliver with the lens you have. H

If you bring a flash... bring along a couple extra sets of batteries for it. ;)

:popcorn:

JerryPH and others already know how much I hate shooting weddings so this will be a fun thread to follow for the future posts. :D

Most reactions

Back