HELP! Shooting my first wedding in May

JerryPH and others already know how much I hate shooting weddings so this will be a fun thread to follow for the future posts.

lol.. Opposite from you, I absolutely LOVE shooting weddings, having done it 4 times as a 2nd photographer with a pro. I also worked my touchass off before that to be as ready as possible. There is no word in the dictionary as to how much stress it really is once you realize how much is riding on your skills.

There are not many possible outcomes, it will either be good... or bad. If good, people post back and show a few pics. If bad, they traditionally never even post here again. There was one that I recall came back to "boast" a little and told us how we were all wrong and gave bad advice, etc... and posted 2 of the most terrible pictures of a wedding I have ever seen. In their case, they would have been more successful using an etch-a-sketch instead of a dSLR... lol

For me, personally, I wish people would do a little more research and be honest about their skills. It really isn't about the photographer, it is about the bride and groom getting what they deserve on this once in a lifetime event. A wedding is incredibly important and for me, I know what I feel when I look at my mediocre wedding pics a few years later. I just want to *****-slap that photographer for his lack of skill.

In this case, I am kinda looking forward to hearing back about the results and maybe seeing 1-2 pictures. MrsMoo (lol @ that name), shows hints of some interestingly positive potential. :)

You dont need the latest flash and certainly not 70-200 F anything lens, most nikon flash guns will work but only full manual.

Scotland, Edinburgh, has calumet, where you can hire oddles of nikon gear if you need it, even a local camera shop could help you out.

My thoughts on this are that you are not ready at all to provide this service but you probably can do a reasonable job with what you have, it'll be better than the P&S brigade at any rate.

My advice is to invest in a flashgun, nikon dedicated at least, jessops own brand will do, 50 - 80 quid, go to the venues at the same time of day and work out your shots on a mate, see what you get, if you reckon they're the best you can do then do it again on the day with the real people, have fun, entertain them and catch what you can, forget fast glass but get the flash and practise with it till you know you can deliver with the lens you have. H

I'll take a trip to edinburgh soon and have a look around, thanks :)

If you bring a flash... bring along a couple extra sets of batteries for it. ;)

I know the feeling, I was shooting my 365 today and my camera ran outta battery! I've left the charger at my gran's house!

:popcorn:

JerryPH and others already know how much I hate shooting weddings so this will be a fun thread to follow for the future posts. :D

thanks :) I'll update everyone as I talk to the couple about photo's etc

lol.. Opposite from you, I absolutely LOVE shooting weddings, having done it 4 times as a 2nd photographer with a pro. I also worked my touchass off before that to be as ready as possible. There is no word in the dictionary as to how much stress it really is once you realize how much is riding on your skills.

There are not many possible outcomes, it will either be good... or bad. If good, people post back and show a few pics. If bad, they traditionally never even post here again. There was one that I recall came back to "boast" a little and told us how we were all wrong and gave bad advice, etc... and posted 2 of the most terrible pictures of a wedding I have ever seen. In their case, they would have been more successful using an etch-a-sketch instead of a dSLR... lol

For me, personally, I wish people would do a little more research and be honest about their skills. It really isn't about the photographer, it is about the bride and groom getting what they deserve on this once in a lifetime event. A wedding is incredibly important and for me, I know what I feel when I look at my mediocre wedding pics a few years later. I just want to *****-slap that photographer for his lack of skill.

In this case, I am kinda looking forward to hearing back about the results and maybe seeing 1-2 pictures. MrsMoo (lol @ that name), shows hints of some interestingly positive potential. :)

I'll get some pictures of the venue to post up, let me know what you guys think I can do with it! After that I'd happily post up some of the wedding :)

the name MrsMoo is coz my fiance's nickname is Moo, and I'd be his mrs :) :thumbup: now you all know! ;)

Calumet is in Leith, google them as I've not got the address since moving from Scotland in 2004, ideally you should have two of everything, at least, and a lot more knowledge of the job but from your post I can tell this girl has little to fund the occasion so your her best bet, at least a friend cocking up wont be as bad as some of the hundred quid pro's which are doing the circuits at the moment. H

:D I absolutely have to respond to this one for no other reason than this:

My lovely, darling, apple of her daddies eye, 22 year old only daughter got married this last summer for which I am still in therapy over the cost of things like a dress worn once for 1 1/2 hours never to be worn again. Be that as it may. My lovely, darling apple of her daddies eye only daughter when it got close to the magical day would of bit Godzilla's head off with not problem if he had looked at her wrong. CASE CLOSED.

And I was only the father of the bride for this one. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lmao:

My middle son also got married this summer and his wife and mother made my daughter look like Heidi. I deal with enough people who are, shall we say not having a good day in my profession. I don't need them in my hobby. :mrgreen:

And with that I will repeat.:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Calumet Camera and Equipment Rental

thanks for all the advice! The Wedding is next month and I must admit, I'm pooing myself! The bride doesn't seem fussed about how her photos turn out, she likes simple things, but I'd love to make them look amazing!

I'm gonna ask her to hire out a flash for me for the day (see site above) which one do you think would be best?

I haven't yet been down to the venue, I'm thru that way tmrw, might pop in and ask to take some photos

Most reactions

Back