Help taking photos around glass

eclipse13

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am photographing a wedding next month and the reception is at an aquarium. The bride wants some 'fun' shots around the fish and shark tanks. I'm worried about the flash. I'll have a f/2.8 lens with me, but I'm sure I'll need my flash anyways. What would you recomend being the best way to avoid a bad reflection from the glass on the tanks? I've got a speedlight that swivels every which way to I can aim it wherever I need to.

If its similar to the aquarium I did a job in you'll have problems, I was only shooting 1 person and had to bin several shots, though this was in film days and the site itself was very dark with tanks lit from above, go for tight angles if possible. H

Get the flash off of the camera...far off. That way you should hopefully be able to avoid any direct flash reflections coming off the glass and back to the camera. Not only that, but off camera lighting is probably the best thing you can do to improve your photography (if you were not doing it already).

this might sound basic - but get a friend or two and take you kit and go play in the aquarium - if its a touristy place phone ahead and see if they have a closed day you can get in or a period of quite - that will at least get you some experience shooting in the differnet environment

A couple of ideas:

1) f1.8 lens and high isos + noise correction done in noise ninja or something similar

2) Bounce the flash off the ceiling, while blocking it from the front with a thick black notecard attached to the flash with a rubber band. This will still likely require a fast lens and higher then normal iso's because most aquariums have dark ceilings.

Would you mind posting the pictures? (your favs) i wanted to do a similar shoot and would love to see your take on how you did it!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back