Shooting my brothers wedding reception - Tips?

If it is tungsten bulbs, then set the WB to tungsten.
If it is other than tungsten, you have to use auto WB or custom WB.

I don’t know Nikon as I use canon but if you can shoot raw and jpg raw will give you a better chance of correcting the colour

Thanks guys! This feedback is so helpful.

I'm looking at Tamron's SP 28-75mm F2.8 XR Di LD-IF (non-BIM) right now... Reasonably priced (under $200 in good+ condition) and it seems like a popular choice, or at least it used to be. Thoughts on that? Is there more than one 28-75 out there? I thought I read on another site that they were an FX lens... Adorama confuses me because the item descriptions say "LD-IF" for ALL of them but only some of them say "(BIM)"... I thought IF was internal-focusing.

I'm also considering Nikon's 24-85 f/2.8-4 AF-D. Another reasonably priced lens where decent indoor lighting shouldn't make f/4 too big of an issue, especially with a flash.

Last edited:
There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer. The equipment you have with you are really awesome. The equipment's will help you to click best pictures & i trust if you love your brother then you will click awesome pics like a professional as you have a heart to heart connection with him.

It depends on what actually is desired by the pair getting married. As the whole wedding photo thing is about sentimentality, you have to work on that aspect alone. Cant do anything "technical" in terms of content.

Try to get an idea of what the wedding dress actually looks like, and if possible in similar lighting condition. Since there will be incandescent light I would expect shadow here and there. Can make for a few good candid poses if she spends some time in the low light spot, but can be a pain on shutter speed.

HOWEVER I would suggest you contact the restaurant owner and ask if someone with a similar cell phone as yours can go around at various times of the day and take the best photos they can with it so they can send and you can see what the phone thinks its best for the lighting in terms of color, iso, shutter, etc.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back