Help to buy an all-around kamera

stened91

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi i have been shooting for many years now and when i shoot i mostly shoot people, street, vacation and so on. Some sports but not much.

So i want a "Street camera" that i can take with me everyday.

i have looked at the:

Fuji x100
Fuji x pro 1
Oly EM5
Leica m8

And i am only going to use 1 lens

what do you guys think? i dont have to use alot of money.. but i really dont have any budget. What is the most fun, easy camera that gives very good IQ

Last edited:
Well, there are three of a kind in that list.....

Three that have AF . One that does not....

I would eliminate that one to reduce the list.

The remaining three are in different price ranges in terms of cost of optics. Figure that one out and you have your choice.

I shoot with a Leica M8, M9, and OMD E-M5. If I were to choose 1 lens kit that I would have fun with for a weekend trip, it would be the M9 with 50mm f/1.4 Summilux. But I stress that that is My Personal preference that may or may not be widely shared. Second choice would probably me the OMD.

If you want one lens only, and happy for that to be 35mm equivalent (sounds from what you shoot that that is enough) then I would say X100 hands down.

You want more versatility then EM5.

You want best picture quality, then X-Pro1.

Money no object M9.

For me, bang for buck would be X100, but then I am biased.

Horses for courses....

If you don't have a lot of money, WTF are you looking at a Leica for?

How about the Canon EOS 60D...it's a pretty sweet camera with a very good 18 MP sensor and LOADS of features! Or the Nikon D7000...same...nice sensor, lotsa' features, reasonable price...

Thx for the input.. Derrel.. well.. both thoes are HUGE.

And guys. I have the OMD-EM5 with 12-50, 45mm and the 12mm. but its abit clunky.
So i wonder if i should Keep the EM5 with the 12-50 and wait for a weathersealed telephotozoom lens and sell the 45mm and 12mm and get the X100.. or sell everything and get the X Pro 1.. what do you think?

you won't de-clunk by getting the X Pro 1. If you get the X100 you will probably miss that 45mm.... it's a beaut.

i know :/ but if i get the X pro 1 i whould have one sexy camera that i can have Leica on if i want.. but i am realy leaned towards the X100.. becouse there are rumors Fujifilm is comming with a Xpro1 ish camera with a FF sensor in it.. and that whould be sexy.

But what do you think about haveing EM5 for sport and nature and X100 for everyday use?

and when the FF fujifilm is comming i can sell my gear and soul to get it if i liked the X100.. if i dont.. i can buy the OMD- EM pro (rumored)

Last edited:
I wouldnt call any of these cameras "all around" ...

Granted, they fit your needs, and they can do great photos - but they are anything but allrounders.

Just for completeness, I would add the X2 from Leica to this list.

Most reactions

Back