Help to choose the filter

mserg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello, I have bought recently a new objective (Sifma 17-70) and now choose the protective filter for it. That you will advise to buy: Kenko 72mm PRO1-Digital Protector or Kenko 72mm L37 Super PRO MC UV HAZE or some other? I used UV the filter for 18-55 earlier but have not seen advantages UV filter. But it sometimes spoilt photos.
Thanks.

Some say a lense hood is better protection than a UV filter.

Some say a lense hood is better protection than a UV filter.
I agree with this.

A good Circular Polarizing filter would be a better investment, bit you don't leave that kind of filter on your lens all the time.

Lens makers spend a lot of time and effort trying to design a lens to minimize the number of air gaps in because air gaps contribute to lens flare. They also try and minimize the number of pieces of glass in a lens while retaining the optical porperties they want the lens to have.

In my opinion, adding a UV filter subverts those goals.

As far as I know Protector filtrs not strongly spoil a picture, can is better to take it?
I saw a photo where filters helped to rescue forward lenses of objectives...

As far as I know Protector filtrs not strongly spoil a picture, can is better to take it?
I saw a photo where filters helped to rescue forward lenses of objectives...
I've seen photos where the 'protective filter' shattered from a light impact and the shards damaged the objective lens. It can work both ways.

UV filters are promoted by equipment sellers because they have high profit margins.

Being carefull with your expensive gear is also very helpful for preventing damage.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back