Help troubleshoot camera problem

Maybe when you dropped it the meter got dislodged/shifted /loose
Have you thought about sending it in to Canon to have it checked ?

Ok, didn't have much time or luck today. I only had time to snap a few pics. I used program mode and spot metering and a tripod. I pointed the camera at the driveway and pressed the shutter halfway till it focused then I pressed AE lock. Then I put camera on a tripod and recomposed and took the pic. The pics didn't turn out good at all.

loaner camera:
View attachment 112297

my camera:
View attachment 112298

New to forum, but not to photography. I would try taking a shot with both cameras set to FULL AUTO and compare. I noticed in your shot you are using spot metering on your camera. Did you use spot metering on both cameras? If so, were they metering the same spot? Spot metering only takes into account a very small portion of the viewfinder, not the entire scene as matrix (or evaulative).

The loaner camera appears as if it is set to matrix metering.

Joe

New to forum, but not to photography. I would try taking a shot with both cameras set to FULL AUTO and compare. I noticed in your shot you are using spot metering on your camera. Did you use spot metering on both cameras? If so, were they metering the same spot? Spot metering only takes into account a very small portion of the viewfinder, not the entire scene as matrix (or evaulative).

The loaner camera appears as if it is set to matrix metering.

Joe
Yes I was using spot metering on both cameras as a test. I metered the same spot. Check out the pics I posted at the top of the thread, they are with both cameras in full auto.

I think I am going to send it in to canon to have it checked out. I never had this problem until it was knocked off the counter. Thank you all for your help! I will let you know what they find!

A couple of questions...

1) Have you changed the focusing screen in this camera?

2) Have you changed the setting in the camera that indicates which focusing screen is installed?

The light meter is located above the focusing screen and it needs to know which focusing screen is installed in order to meter the shots correctly.

If you have not changed the focusing screen, it's possible someone has changed the setting that indicates that you have changed the screen.

Use the menu, navigate to the Custom Functions IV and pick sub-option 4. It will list the three screen types which are Ef-A is the factory default screen. Ef-D is a gridded screen. Ef-S is the "super precision matte" screen which should only be used with f/2.8 or faster lenses but has a finer frosted glass that diffuses out of focus areas more strongly and consequently makes it much easier to accurately perform manual focus.

See this video from Canon for instructions:

A couple of questions...

1) Have you changed the focusing screen in this camera?

2) Have you changed the setting in the camera that indicates which focusing screen is installed?

The light meter is located above the focusing screen and it needs to know which focusing screen is installed in order to meter the shots correctly.

If you have not changed the focusing screen, it's possible someone has changed the setting that indicates that you have changed the screen.

Use the menu, navigate to the Custom Functions IV and pick sub-option 4. It will list the three screen types which are Ef-A is the factory default screen. Ef-D is a gridded screen. Ef-S is the "super precision matte" screen which should only be used with f/2.8 or faster lenses but has a finer frosted glass that diffuses out of focus areas more strongly and consequently makes it much easier to accurately perform manual focus.

See this video from Canon for instructions:

Thank You for your suggestions. I have not replaced the focusing screen and the setting is on Ef-A. I didn't even know what a focusing screen was until I watched the video! Anyway, I have the camera all packed up now and am going to drop it off at ups today to head to Newport News.

Update:

Got the camera back from Canon today! Have not tested it out yet though. I have to head in to work, I'll test it out tomorrow.

However, they said, "Your product has been examined and it was found that the unit had been impacted causing the ae assembly to move out of position causing unevenness in the exposure. The ae assembly was reworked. Product functions were confirmed."

After I take some test pics with it tomorrow, I'll post the results! Thank you all for your help with this!

great news that they fixed it.
Have fun testing it tomorrow.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back