Help! Vaca photos need rescuing!

Meadows

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My husband and I just got back from a cruise where we celebrated my beating breast cancer last year. It was a big trip for us and we did some really memorable things. Unfortunately my dear hubby used a flash outdoors on some of the pics and they're terribly overexposed. I tried multiplying layers in photoshop to no avail. It darkens them, but the colors are still extremely muddy. I also tried adjusting light and color in a basic photo app, but that was pointless. I'm at a total loss at this point. I'm sure 90% of people wouldn't realize they're bad photos, but I certainly do and it's so upsetting. I'm wondering if anyone here would be we willing to fix them for me? There's about 30 pics in all and I will gladly pay you for your time and experience. Thanks so much.

If parts of the images are totally blown out (ie, pure white), there's nothing to recover. All you can do is make those areas a darker shade of gray.

Posting a sample would help us see what you're up against.

Here's one that no matter what I do I can't get the colors right. It's such a terrible quality photo but such an amazing memory. It's such a bummer to not have a nice pic. The colors are dull and flat, it's noisy, etc. No matter what adjustments I make, the color is still so off...and overexposed. My basic editing skills are not doing the trick! Thanks for any help you could pass along. I really appreciate it!
Jag.jpg

Not sure if this is an improvement or not.

Jag.jpg

The colors are definitely brighter, but possibly too vibrant and processed looking. I'll keep playing with it and see what I can do. Thank you so much though!!

Please go into your settings and change

"photos NOT OK to edit" to:

"photos OK to edit"

Thanks, Designer. I just changed it. Should be all set now.

First of all, congratulations on your victory. :headbang:
Secondly, welcome aboard.

Just keep plugging at them. If they are JPG, consider converting them to something like PNG or some other "lossless" format for your edits.

Here is how I would do it. Dropped the whites and highlightes, added clarity and contrast. And a little cropping and removal of the thing over your sunglasses. If you like it let me know and I'll write down every adjustment.

EDIT: dropped the green, didn't notice it as I'm sitting in a room painted green :(

Jag-3.jpg

Last edited:
Don't worry about it; tell him because he goofed the pictures, you need a 'do-over' on the whole trip!

Here's my version:

I leveled the ocean, re-cropped to square off the edges, adjusted the WB (using one of the white chairs in the BG, hit the curves adjustment, brought the shadows up a bit, and a teensie amount of sharpening.

The greenish color cast on your face is caused by the green (something) behind the photographer. Perhaps somebody with Photoshop skills can fix that, but my software is somewhat limited in that regard.

Jag - Version 2.jpg

Snowbear, thank you very much!

BillM, that looks great! I love that you took out that piece in front of my glasses too! Would it be possible to remove the chain? Thank you!

Tirediron, yes, I like that idea!

Designer, that looks really great too! I've been able to get all my other pics taken with the flash on outside somewhat fixed, but that green on the ones sitting on these huts...I can't get rid of it either. Would you be willing to edit one more below? Thank you so much!

I think I'm going to use Designers because my neon green wrist band is still neon green in that one. I'm in some other pics with the wrist band and for the sake of consistency I'd like it to stay the same. I really appreciate everyone's help! Thank you!

Jag2.jpg

Meadows said:
My husband and I just got back from a cruise where we celebrated my beating breast cancer last year.
Congratulations on your health issue triumph!
Jag_LR edit-3.JPG
Kind of a heavy-handed, theatrical B&W look.

Jag_LR edit-2.JPG

I went for a vintage feel on this one.

Jag_LR edit.JPG

I wasn't sure what color the near-shore water was supposed to be, so I went with this...

The second one:

No need to straighten or crop. That greenish tinge is there, but hopefully this will do.

Jag2 - Version 2.jpg

I resized these for uploading purposes, but if you PM me your e-mail I will send you the larger sizes of both.

Most reactions

Back