help vith light room and cs3

steven owen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What is HDR I am only getting use to lightroom, and am still a novice, I have a good eye for composing i have been told but I do like contrast and big light diffrances and always end up with blown out or under exposed somthing all in the same image as I try to compensate, and read that the sky is way to bright and the undergroth is way to dark.
Can you do any adjustments in light room. can you correct only te areas that require attention without actually affecting the whole picture?

I have just got new kit (another canon) idsmk3 with 16-35mm f2.8 l usm lens, and 70-200 f2.8 l is usm and well chuffed with them have ordered up pro 1 pol filters, but might need to think about a graduation filter but do not think you can get the thread type, but anyhow any advice on these problems, I normally shoot aeriel stuff where this is seldom a problem, actually quite the reverse on lots of occations.

I also need to get to grips wth cs3 but never really went near it from date of purchase any courses that are worth looking in to?

Sorry for all the questions but very hungry for answers.

Thanks Steve

Hold it hold it hold it.... You have a solid $12k worth of gear and doesn't even know the answer to these questions?

Wow. I really, really, really hope this is a joke.

HDR = High Dynamic Range

Obviously you can make adjustments in lightroom. I don't know what you mean by "can you do any adjustments in lightroom."

And, if cost is no object, as it sure seems to not be, This is pretty good

eDiT: And this definitely shouldn't be in "Beyond the Basics".

What is HDR I am only getting use to lightroom, and am still a novice, I have a good eye for composing i have been told but I do like contrast and big light diffrances and always end up with blown out or under exposed somthing all in the same image as I try to compensate, and read that the sky is way to bright and the undergroth is way to dark.
Can you do any adjustments in light room. can you correct only te areas that require attention without actually affecting the whole picture?

I have just got new kit (another canon) idsmk3 with 16-35mm f2.8 l usm lens, and 70-200 f2.8 l is usm and well chuffed with them have ordered up pro 1 pol filters, but might need to think about a graduation filter but do not think you can get the thread type, but anyhow any advice on these problems, I normally shoot aeriel stuff where this is seldom a problem, actually quite the reverse on lots of occations.

I also need to get to grips wth cs3 but never really went near it from date of purchase any courses that are worth looking in to?

Sorry for all the questions but very hungry for answers.

Thanks Steve

You'll probably not get too many answers here from the wingwangs like reg or oooiiioooiii, they'll just look down on you and tell you to read some file or something. HDR is high dynamic range. basically three exposures mixed together to give you the best of each. cs3 is very good. you will enjoy it once you start working with it. wish I could help more but I'm trying to get someone to help me autobraket for reasons I don't feel necessary to explain to the poopbutts that shoved a pdf file at me.

Hold it hold it hold it.... You have a solid $12k worth of gear and doesn't even know the answer to these questions?

Wow. I really, really, really hope this is a joke.

HDR = High Dynamic Range

Obviously you can make adjustments in lightroom. I don't know what you mean by "can you do any adjustments in lightroom."

And, if cost is no object, as it sure seems to not be, This is pretty good

eDiT: And this definitely shouldn't be in "Beyond the Basics".

you shul;dn't be either.

To get back to the OPs questions, or at least those that can readily be answered here: As Onion stated, HDR is indeed High Dynamic Range, meaning a merging of multiple images (often more than three). The basic technique is to to take a series of exposures from the same point increasing by about 2 stops to cover the entire dynamic range of the scene. Those images are then merged by software such as that found in CS3, PSP, or other applications.
Lightroom is a RAW handler, and an excellent one, however it does not allow you to created HDR Merged images, it's simply a very powerful tool for adjusting exposure, WB, tweaking highlights and so forth in RAW images.
If you want a software that will only work on one area of the image, than the only one I am aware of is Nikon Capture NX; there may well be others, but I'm not familiar with them.
It very much sounds to me like Steve has put the cart before the horse; that is a boat load of top quality gear, but not the skills to use it to it's fullest extent.
I would strongly suggest getting some good, basic 'How to' type photography books from you local library, and reading them. Community college level basic photography and Photoshop courses would serve you well too.

Onion, at the risk of derailing this thread, I would have to say that your comments toward Reg and others are totally uncalled for. This forum is a wealth of knowledge and experience, and everyone, no matter how new to photography has something valuable to contribute, BUT, people also have to make an effort on their own.

If someone has a brand-new camera, you can be sure it came with a manual, and if it's a Nikon, it will look like a bible; I'm sure other brands are the same. There is a HUGE amount of information in that manual; it will tell you how to do pretty much everything you could ever want to know how to do with your camera. What is wrong with reading that, and then, if you don't understand, asking the question? Why should someone here take the time to answer a question that the person who posted the question already has in the form of his or her manual.

Asking: "Please tell me how exposure compensation works on my camera" is a completely different question than "I've read my manaul, and really don't understand what they mean when they talk about 1/2 EV; could someone explain that?"

I would say that giving someone a direct link to a .pdf file which will answer all of their questions is shoving it at them!

you shul;dn't be either.

How about you go find something better to do than post here? First you got all pissy when I posted the manual to your camera when you said you lost it, instead of just spoonfeeding you the answer. But if you had looked in it, you'd know that it was a help.

Not only did I tell him what HDR meant, I gave him a link to some training. I *did* make a comment on the fact that he has over five digits in gear and can't use it, which seems ridiculous to me, but at the end of the day I *did* do my best to help.

And tirediron, what he has is a *Canon 1ds*.

BIG SCOOP! Not really, but the LR 2 Beta has a tool that lets you "paint on" saturation, brightness, exposure and tone. I can post a print screen if you want.

but at the end of the day I *did* do my best to help.

and made it a point to make him feel stupid. it was so good of you to lend a helping hand. what would he have done without you? well done, sir. :er:

and made it a point to make him feel stupid. well done, sir. :er:

I'm not the one running out and buying 12,000 of equipment then asking what PSAM means. Ya dig?

Walk before you run, grasshopper.

Or... just learn to use a search tool and post in the beginner section, where it belongs. Whatever's more applicable at the time.

And tirediron, what he has is a *Canon 1ds*.
Yes I know. He stated that in his post.

BIG SCOOP! Not really, but the LR 2 Beta has a tool that lets you "paint on" saturation, brightness, exposure and tone. I can post a print screen if you want.
That is news (to me at least).

I know he stated that in his post but since you said "if it's a nikon the manual..." I figured you didn't see it. Oh wellz.

But yeah! There's a brush tool for just those things. It's not terribly advanced (brush size in pixels, how much you want to crank up OR DOWN the exposure, sat. or whatever and then you paint) but it doesn't really need to be. Works just fine in my experience.

I'm not the one running out and buying 12,000 of equipment then asking what PSAM means. Ya dig?

Walk before you run, grasshopper.

You sound bitter reg. Someone knock of your 1ds? Or just feeling inadequate?

Welcome to the forum Steven. You have asked some pretty broad questions.

I suggest having a look at www.hdrsoft.com, it's good HDR software, they also go into a bit about the HDR process on the website. Furthermore you can download a trail version of the software.

In regards to Photoshop CS3, it will do just about anything you could ever want to do in terms of image manipulation, its a beast of an application and unless you have quite specific questions then it is somewhat difficult to help you out.

That said I would highly recommend hitting a decent bookshop and picking up a few books on CS3. Once you learn the basics and start playing around it comes together fairly quickly.

Best of luck.

You sound bitter reg. Someone knock of your 1ds? Or just feeling inadequate?

You sound condescending Rhubarb. Someone pee in your coffee? Or just feeling the need to cause problems for the sake of causing problems?

And when someone waltzes in here, with a more expensive camera than my car, and can't even use the d@mn thing, it's quite frankly offensive.

Hey, some people just have money to throw away. Reading his post, i'd say Steven needs to buy one more thing, Understanding Exposure. That, or any other book or course that will teach him the basics, followed by a book on photoshop basics, otherwise all this gear won't make any difference.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back