Renaming Camera

Nwcid

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.jbnokesphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know I can name/label the files on my camera any way I like.

I now am shooting with 2 of the same camera, both Nikon Z7ii. When I import into light room one of the options is to filter images in metadata by camera. The problem is that both cameras have the same name in the metadata.

Is there are way to give them unique names?

I can't remember the options in Bridge, and not at my computer, but here's a free editor, that might be what your looking for Editing, Creating and Viewing EXIF data with free Exif editor note the screen shot specifically shows the ability to edit the camera name. I think the batch editing function is paid???

If I am reading that right, it changes the data on the file after download so I would have to do it every time.

I am hoping there is a solution to name the camera one time and never mess with it again.

If I am reading that right, it changes the data on the file after download so I would have to do it every time.

I am hoping there is a solution to name the camera one time and never mess with it again.

Yes you would have to download the files then edit as a batch. I'm not overly familar with Nikon, but most higher end model manufacturers offer some customization in the menu on the camera itself. I found this on the Nikon help page. Is this what you're looking for?Customizing Metadata Display | ViewNX-i Help | Nikon

I did some googling and could not find anything close so I appreciate the help.

If I am reading that link correctly you can change what it information it shows, but not acutely change the data.

I did email Nikon so I will see what they have to say. I was just hoping someone had done this in the past.

-

You can't rename a camera but the files and/or the cards…

I am using two D810 among others and what I did was to tell them how
to name files they record so that whatever the sequences, there will not
be any conflicts for one and it gives me a chance to spot which camera
is which. Done in the "file naming" sub-menu.

My files are named 851 or 852. If you add that cards may have the same
prefixes and always put them in there respective camera, that will help too.

HTH. :cool:

I miss spoke. Yes, in camera under "storage folder" is where my naming is, which formats and names the cards.

I miss spoke. Yes, in camera under "storage folder" is where my naming is, which formats and names the cards.

Not the card, the file name.

Example I changed the file name on my Olympus to read: O12B1234.jpg
O=Olympus
12 = EM1-mk2
B = camera #2
So each of my Olympus cameras creates a unique file name.

Similarly my Nikon is changed to: NDS_1234.jpg
N = Nikon
So I can quickly see that it was from my Nikon vs. the Olympus.
If I had more than one Nikon, I would modify the file name structure to be similar to the Olympus.

I did this at school where I changed the Nikons to be: DSn_1234.jpg
Where n = the number of the camera 1,2,3,4. example DS3 and DS4.
This helps me track a problem back to the camera that caused it.

This also prevents the files from camera 2 from overwriting the files from camera 1, which could happen when the students pool their pictures.

As for the metadata, you will have to contact Nikon about that.
And let us know what you find out.

update: ooops, I reread the OP and see you already know about naming the files in the camera.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back