help w/ tagging images

oifla

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
hello all

i'm working with a few thousand (as in 8k+) jpgs as part of my dissertation project (it's all archival data i digitized with my camera) and while my current coding method works OK, it is a bit cumbersome and requires printing which is getting very expensive.

in short, i need a program that allows me to apply tags to the jpgs and keep the coding in the computer (thus avoiding the paper). ideally, i'd like to be able to write my own tags and recall them and generally accumulate data (i.e. so many tags for this sort and so many of this other, etc.).

any ideas? right now i'm working on a PC running XP pro and unless it is unavoidable, i want to avoid 3rd party software and try to get it done within XP. thanks
oifla

...i want to avoid 3rd party software and try to get it done within XP. thanks
oifla

XP can read and write a few of the IPTC fields that are present in JPEG files. To do this you simply right-click on the file, select "Properties" from the resulting menu, select the "Summary", and enter your data in the available fields. You can have XP display some of these fields in an Explorer window by accessing the window's Choose Details... control (off of the View menu). This is far from elegant, but somewhat functional and uses only native XP functionality.

You will probably be better of with 3rd party software which can make global edits to the IPTC fields and which can search and sort files using these fields.

...i want to avoid 3rd party software and try to get it done within XP. thanks
oifla

XP can read and write a few of the IPTC fields that are present in JPEG files. To do this you simply right-click on the file, select "Properties" from the resulting menu, select the "Summary", and enter your data in the available fields. You can have XP display some of these fields in an Explorer window by accessing the window's Choose Details... control (off of the View menu). This is far from elegant, but somewhat functional and uses only native XP functionality.

You will probably be better of with 3rd party software which can make global edits to the IPTC fields and which can search and sort files using these fields.

Yes, using that method you can sort your files using xp.

I thought I remember reading about an plug-in that is available for Windows that will allow you to tag the photos. Maybe you can google for it.

I thought I remember reading about an plug-in that is available for Windows that will allow you to tag the photos. Maybe you can google for it.

ok, i searched but wasn't able to come up with much. do you remember any other details? thanks

thanks all for the ideas - still looking for something more viable than my current tagging scheme.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back