HELP !!! What Camera should I get?

kearypik

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm needing some advise on what camera I should get. I have a Rebel xti. I like it, but I think I need something a little better. I've been looking at the Rebel T2i.
Here's a little bit about my photography skill, If you can call it that. I take all kinds of shots, from landscape, kids in there sports, macro. Basically I like to play around, but like nice photos. What are your thought on this camera or do you have a suggestion on a different one.

How is the xti limiting you?

What limitations are you running into? Would a T2i overcome those limitations?

There is little, if anything, that the T2i will do for you, that your current camera won't. So why do you think that you need something 'a little better'?

The best way to improve your photography, would be to invest in the photographer; read some books, take a class, go to a workshop, practice something new etc.

What lens(es) do you have? If you do want to get some new gear, you will probably get more out of a better lens, than you will from a minor upgrade to the camera itself.

Last year I made the upgrade you're considering. My primary reason was that I do a lot of work in urban areas in poor light where it is not practical to set up a tripod, and the T2i allows me to use ISO settings two stops higher with comparable noise. If this would be important to you based on the way you work, then I'd say it was worthwhile. There are some other minor improvements, like a better view screen and easier ISO setting, but the improved noise is the key difference.

I have a regular 55mm lens that came on it and 55- 250 canon lens. I was told that I needed a better sensor or a camera with a higher ISO so I could get better action shot of my kids playing basketball or motocross. I thought maybe I just needed better lenses.

You would probably see a much better improvement from investing in better lenses rather than a T2i. Don't get me wrong, there are advantages to upgrading the body. However, given your limited knowledge, I do not see those options being a huge benefit to you at this point. Also, as Big Mike said, invest in yourself. Learn more.

If the lens is the way to go, any suggestions?

I have a regular 55mm lens that came on it and 55- 250 canon lens. I was told that I needed a better sensor or a camera with a higher ISO so I could get better action shot of my kids playing basketball or motocross. I thought maybe I just needed better lenses.
Action shooting is something that is demanding on equipment, that's why professional sport photographers use some of the most expensive equipment.

Yes, a better (newer) camera, that can shoot at a higher ISO, will help you to get faster shutter speeds, which will help to freeze movement.
Yes, better lenses (larger maximum aperture) will help you to get faster shutter speeds, which will help to freeze movement.

The problem with shooting at a higher ISO, is that it also increases the digital noise. Newer cameras are usually better in that they produce less noise at the same or higher ISO settings....but if that's your goal, then you may want to look at a much better camera, like the 5DmkII.

'Faster' lenses, on the other hand, can let you shoot with faster shutter speeds and/or lower ISO levels. Plus the can give you a shallower Depth of Field (DOF), which can help to isolate your subject from the background...and/or give you more creative options.

Another factor to consider, for shooting sports, is the camera's ability to auto focus quickly and accurately. For shooting sports, I'd suggest looking at the Canon 7D. It's got the most advanced AF system you will find in a Canon camera for less than $4000.

Ideally, for shooting sports, you may want (even need) to upgrade both your camera and your lenses...but I'm sure you're like me, in that you're not made of money. :lol:

Since you probably can't get too close to the action, you'll probably want a longer lens that also has a large aperture. The Canon 70-200mm F2.8 L IS II, is a great lens, but is well over $2000. There is a 70-200mm F2.8 (without IS) that is less expensive. There are also some good options from Sigma & Tamron, both have a 70-200mm F2.8 that is less expensive than the Canon. Still not very 'cheap' though.

If you don't need such a long lens, then you might consider something like the 85mm F1.8. I think it's around $400. With a maximum aperture of F1.8, it would allow you to get much faster shutter speeds than your current lenses.

kearypik said:

Probably something with an f/2.8 in the focal range you feel you need the most. You could start with the 50 1.8 just because it's dirt cheap.

Since you don't have much invested in lenses you could take a look at the Sony a35 or a55 cameras. They use a different type of mirror that enables features usually reserved for more expensive cameras. For example the a35 can shoot up to 7fps in continuous WHILE auto focusing. The a55 can shoot up to 10 fps. They also have built in steadyshot (IS), fold out live view screens for those really awkward positions you might find yourself in while shooting sports.

The a35 is about as much as a t2i btw.

Thanks everyone!! I have a much better idea on what I should invest in. I think for me and my experience a lens might be the better choice.

If you like shooting kids and relatively close sports, I think your best bet on a budget would be the Canon 85mm f/1.8 for around $350 right now on sale. It will allow you to get faster shutter speeds and it will focus much much faster than the lenses you currently have. The downside is, its a fixed focal length, so if the action is too far away or gets too close to you, you will not be able to fill the frame unless you move closer or backup.

Most reactions

Back