Help! What kind of flash should I use in for indoor events / receptions?

marcyj

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a Nikon D3000 and I'm trying to figure out what the best flash would be to purchase for shooting indoor events / receptions. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

The best and most consistant results are gotten by putting both the camea and the flash unit in manual mode, and getting the flah unit off of the camera.

A secondary benefit is you don't have to pay a premium for a flash unit that has a bunch of fancy electronics and some software written by a group of Japanese camera engineers.

This $85 unit will work fine Vivitar 285HV Auto Professional Flash but it requires you, and not the camera, to be in control.

If you want the camera and flash unit to make, sometimes wrong, decisions for you get the $330 Nikon SB-700 AF Speedlight Flash for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras

Or the $515 Nikon SB-910 Speedlight Flash for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
You can get a sb80dx or sb28..They are a bit older but still pretty strong and recycle time is a little faster than the 285hv. I have used the 285hv on my camera and it works if you want to bounce in landscape mode straight up toward the ceiling. The nikon's can rotate. Shop around. I got my sb28 and sb24 for about 150 shipped for both. All of these are manual. If you prefer ttl, I'd get the sb800. Stronger, commander, slave, and pc ports.

If the ceiling/walls are too high/far away to bounce, there's all sorts of soft boxes, diffusers and light spheres you can get to go on your flash to soften the light. And they can be used whether the flash is on or off camera.

Some of them actually help you make nice photos too. Most are just a waste of good money.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back