Help! What seems to be dirt inside of lens? Deteriorated glass?

choubacca

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
hey guys,

I just picked up this lens off of Ebay and when I received it it was in good working order and the lens looked flawless....until i put it on my camera. I immediatly noticed that when i looked through my viewfinder, it looked as though as the tint of what i am seeing is darker which looks very grainy almost as there is build up of dirt.

Since Im not sure how dirt could get inside, could it be because the lens is maybe old so the glass on the lens has deteriorated? Will this affect my pictures? (its a film camera)

Would a store like a Best Buy fix this? or is there a better store?

thanks a whole bunch!!!

chou

no i dont think it is fungus, at least according to the picture. There is no build up inside of the lens i can see that looks like that

I get this periodiclly on my camera, some lenses just don't seem to interact with the focusing screen properly, the pictures should be fine if this is the case.

hopefully you are right and the pictures won't be affected. But it is a slight annoyance to have look through a kind of garbled or marbled lens to shoot my picture. Is there a store that fixes or could look at it that anyone knows about?

hopefully you are right and the pictures won't be affected. But it is a slight annoyance to have look through a kind of garbled or marbled lens to shoot my picture. Is there a store that fixes or could look at it that anyone knows about?

I just got done taking some pictures of just what it is I think you are refering to, in a couple minuets I'll have them ready and posted.

Sorry for the bad shots and poor lens selection....sticking a P&S to the viewfinder is not easy.....and I don't bring everything I own to work. I'm going to try retaking these later, I kinda rushed threw it.

But anywho Normal lens and focusing screen activity

in focus
100_3508-1.jpg

Out of focus
100_3509-1.jpg

These where done with Canon FD 50 1.4

but this is what I think you are experiencing

In Focus
100_3517.jpg

100_3507-1.jpg

Taken with Vivitar 400mm

I believe my particular interaction is due to the limited amount of light threw the lens to the screen.

Battou!! you hit it right on the head the last two images are EXACTLY what im experiencing!!!

what do i do!? Even when i put it in focus its still heavily granulated. It would be so frustrating to have to look through that all the time

thank you so much!

Battou!! you hit it right on the head the last two images are EXACTLY what im experiencing!!!

what do i do!? Even when i put it in focus its still heavily granulated. It would be so frustrating to have to look through that all the time

thank you so much!

I have not yet found any course of action agenst it as of yet, I just take extra effort to keep it clean and shoot threw it.

What is the focal leingth of the lens that you are using?

yeah, it doesnt seem that your picture was affected. I posted some pics above.

Same ting with that one one my bodys. I thought it was the screen texture amplifeid somehow.

Same ting with that one one my bodys. I thought it was the screen texture amplifeid somehow.

...was it with that same lens out of curiousity :lol:

Canon FL-FD bodies are supposed to use the additional light box for lenses 400mm and up due to the limmited light that reaches the viewfinder, that is why I believe I get it with this lens.

But yeah that is basically my impression as well

Most reactions

Back