Help, why are my pictures so blurry?

Yeah Canon does... at least it came with my T2i... I've used it several times... which is how I discovered that my camera was constantly focusing on my husband's cymbals rather than his *face* at shows, haha.

I didn't know this! I have never used the Canon software. Do you know which program it is? Maybe the EOS Utility?

Thanks for the replies. I've learned a lot from all of them.

Your problem is all in using your focus points correctly. As long as you get the focus points right, then you can use 1.8 just fine if you want shallow depth of field. I'd suggest practicing on static objects to figure out what exactly is going wrong in your process.

One thing that can help is switching your autofocus off of the shutter button and to the "*" button on the back of the camera. This can really help to keep you from misfocusing as you shoot pictures.

One last note: Jeff, you have things turned around a bit. If you are using a wide-open aperture, getting further away will actually get *more* of your subject in focus rather than less.

One last note: Jeff, you have things turned around a bit. If you are using a wide-open aperture, getting further away will actually get *more* of your subject in focus rather than less.

Sorry, my wording was a bit off. Yes, the further away you are from a subject the greater the depth of field at any aperture. But f/1.8 will give you the least depth of field at any distance, and since the man's face is in focus, but not the girl's (their faces are different distances from the camera) the problem is the f/1.8. Now if the photographer backed up another 50-100 feet, the f/1.8 setting would probably be fine.

Have Fun,
Jeff

Most reactions

Back