Help With a good family portraits lens For My D7000

There have been three 24-85mm Nikkor zooms. The old 24-85mm f/2.8~4.Nikon 24-85mm f/2.8-4D AF Nikkor Test Review © 2004 KenRockwell.com

The newer 24-85mm f/3.5~4.5 AF-S G. Nikon 24-85mm AF-S G Review

Each succeeding lens model has had higher and higher image quality than the lens before it. The NEWEST and most-modern design was intended for use on high-resolution digital SLR cameras, like the D800 and D800e. Nikon 24-85mm VR Review

You don't need a lot of aperture speed for shooting portraiture...you need depth of field to make sure the people are in good FOCUS.

If you want an inexpensive 28-105mm Nikkor zoom, look at the 28-105mm AF-D, the f/3.5~4.5 model, made for most of the last half-decade, and spend $115 and buy one from KEH.com.

That depends on you, not the camera.

F/3.5 is 2/3 of a stop slower than f/2.8. Slower means it lets in less light.

Don't over think it either. I bought an 18-105mm vr kit Lens a few weeks ago and have taken some nice portraits with de-focussed backgrounds. It's actually very sharp and has great image quality. I am not recommending this lens for portraits, but it does them well even though the specs would imply otherwise.

I think the tamron zoom you mentioned would serve you well. Another flexible option may be sigmas newest 17-70mm f2.8-4 OS. Any well recommended lens will take nice portraits in the right hands. Any recommendations from above posts will likely be more than good enough

a better choice than the Tamron is a Sigma 17-50 2.8 with vr or vc or is or os or whatever they call it or a Tamron 18-50 2.8 VC.

I had the Sigma 17-50 and loved it. I would definitely look into picking one up.

thats the lens im going to go with just purchased it right now sigma 17-50mm f2.8 for my nikon d7000 thank you Dillard and everyone else who helped me with this choice and everyone who commented on this forum you guys were a very big help.

iam using 50mm from Nikon 1.8G and pictures are wonderful. So happy i did this choice. Good glass for good price.

hello i have a shoot this weekend of a family of 3 which are a mother and two kids i would like to know what is a very good sharp lens for my nikon d7000 i was looking at the tamron 28-75mm f2.8 or the 85mm 1.8g please give me any thoughts or feedback on any other lens that are great for this type of photo shoots thank you
To be honest, a "Normal Zoom" like a 18-55/18-105/16-85/18-140 f/3.5-5.6 will do about as well as anything if you are shooting outside or indoors with flash. Indoors with natural light I would use my 35mm or 50mm f/1.8. I don't see where using an 85mm on crop frame would work very well indoors with a group, probably run out of room.

Most reactions

Back