help with a purchase

jerryh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I currently own a canon 20D with 28-135 IS f3.5-5.6 and a canon 70-200 f4.0L.

What is the best addition to the bag, a back-up camera ( rebel Xt digital) or replace the 28-135 IS with maybe a 20-70 f2.8L or 24-105 f4.0L IS.?

Any imput would be appreciated as I have been trying to make up my mind for the past month
thanks, Jerry

What is photography to you? Are you an amatuer or professional?

Amatuers have no need of a backup body, if their current one goes down they just lose a days enjoyment. Professionals of course are another matter, and depending on what kind of work you do, a second body is probably a very good idea (especially if your not really noticing anything bad about the current lens set up you have).

i agree with sparky. if your not a pro (or go on assignments often), then there is really no need to have a backup camera. I suggest selling the 28-135 and buying a 24-70L (or tamron's version, the 28-75 2.8, which is excellent, and practically as good as far as image quality goes). A nice mid prime would be nice too (85 1.8 + 50 1.4 or a 135 f2L if you do portraits) but it's really just up to you.

I have two bodies: one loaded with black and white and another loaded with color. Granted, I didn't buy the second body specifically for that purpose, but such is what happens when you think you lose a camera, buy a replacement, and find the first one two days later. At any rate it works out well for me.:mrgreen:

nealjpage said:
I have two bodies: one loaded with black and white and another loaded with color. Granted, I didn't buy the second body specifically for that purpose, but such is what happens when you think you lose a camera, buy a replacement, and find the first one two days later. At any rate it works out well for me.:mrgreen:

hahah. sounds like a great excuse for more equipment :)

he's shooting digital though, so a bw camera and a color camera would be silly. good idea though, for film.

Thanks for all the imput. How would the 17-40 L sound as a walk around lens on the 20D

I am not a pro, at times I've considered myself Simi-pro and through the years I have sold some work from time to time. When I shot film, I always had 2 bodies. Usually 2 F3's or a F3 and FA loaded one color, one B&W, or both color but one with short lens, one long. Now that I shoot digital, I have a backup as well. I shoot a D1X and a D1H. If I am traveling heavy I go with the short and long concept. If going light, I carry one and pack the other body in my gadget bag stored in my car. If heavy is OK, then one body with a 24-120, the other with 17-35 and a 80-200, 300, 400 my assistant carries (read lovely wife).

Most reactions

Back