Help with buying first dslr.

Rookie6

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi.

I need some help with buying DSLR camera for taking pictures of storms and lightnings. Because I'm a beginner I don't really know which Camera should I buy. And I don't want some expensive Camera for pro use. My budget is arround 250€ and I will buy used camera for start. If anyone has some experience with that would be very useful. Sorry for my bad English.

Thank you in advance

Hello and welcome, take a look at eBay you should find a camera in your price range...

Thank you. I don't know which model should I buy for taking pictures of lightning and storms.

Best regards J

I'll suggest a camera but its not a DSLR. A used Olympus EM5MKii or EM10MKii. The reason why I suggest this is because of the Live Composite feature that makes it ideal for photographing lightning. Google 'em5mkii live composite lightning' to see some images and also to learn what Live Composite would do for you.

Thank you very much for help and idea but I would like to buy a dslr because I can change lens use filter and to learn about dslr cameras because im future I would like to buy some profesional camera.

Did someone use Nikon D90 or D3300? Which one is better? ( image quality, procesor, ...)
Thank you very much for helping me.

Best regards J

I have both a D90 and D3100. Both are capable of great photos. The D90 offers more features and more AF lens compatibility. For a beginner either is a good choice and as the D3300 is an evolution of the 3100 will work as well with more pixels and features. Honestly if you can find a D3100 and the 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 lens cheap I'd say buy it. A great combination that is very capable for learning. The 3300 will have better IQ than the others,especially the low light stuff.

Thank you very much for help and explanation.
Best regards J

Thank you very much for help and idea but I would like to buy a dslr because I can change lens use filter and to learn about dslr cameras because im future I would like to buy some profesional camera.

If you googled you’d see that you can do that with an OMD EM5 II

But omd em5 II is not cheap for begginer so nikon d3300 is better choice I guess?? Is there a lot of grains in low light conditions using d3300?

Ah the ever present Ken Rockwell has a review of the D3300 right here. With photos in high ISO. Remember this will be a online image so some degradation is from publication. How large are you planning on printing low light images? This camera,an SB-400 flash,a couple lenses and SD cards and you'll be fine.

This was taken with a D3100,18-55mm kit lens,SB-400 flash hand held @1/60 f8. Post is crop, color balance and some sharpening with Nikon's ViewNX2 software.

DSC_2012 copy.JPG

The Nikon D3300 has excellent image quality, and is low priced for a d-slr. It's an excellent choice for a first d-slr.

Yep, Nikon D3300 is probably the best bang you're going to get for that money.

If you want something more compact and lighter, then have a look at the Sony A5100 with the 16-50 kit lens. Great little camera. But you'll have to increase your budget just a little bit.

Most reactions

Back